1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see folders on Flash disk

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by akfak, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akfak

akfak Thread Starter

I recently got a virus on my flash disk. Well, a whole bunch of viruses. I virus-scanned and removed them...at least most of them. But, now my flash disk is acting funny:

1. I can't open the flash disk by clicking on it. It gives me the "Open With" dialog.

2. This has happened before, so I know to right click and select Open. However, this doesn't work this time...I get the same "Open With" dialog.

3. I can't see any of my folders on the flash disk. I know all the files are still there, because the memory consumption is the same as it was before I got the virus.

This happened before...I was able to fix it by taking the flash disk to another computer, which allowed me to see the folders. However, the folder icon was a bit more transparent than the normal folder icon. Anyway, that time, I re-created the folders, and copied all the files into the new folders. I took everything off the flash disk and formatted it, put all my files back on, and it worked like magic.

BUT, this time, it's not working. I've taken the flash disk to a lot of different computers, and it doesn't work. I've tried to go to Tools...Options and select "Show hidden folders", but I get nothing. In fact, if I go back to the Tools...Options window, "Do not show hidden files and folders" is again selected.

I ran a "Fix Errors", but everything was fine.

I backed up everything on the flash disk. During that procedure, I could see all the folders (to select to be backed up). But, when I restored the backup (on my PC), I was still not able to see the folders.

That's about everything I've tried. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks so much.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice