1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see most online streaming videos with Windows Media Player.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MeAmRussian, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeAmRussian

MeAmRussian Thread Starter

I don't know what to do; launch.com doesn't work. When I try to play a video, the media player configuration box comes up saying "click the i see the video button when you see the video." The video doesn't play. It says "stopped." At other streaming video sites, it just says loading... then "ready." Then when I press play it again says loading... "ready".

I don't know what to do :( I tried going to "help" at launch if the video doesn't play. That doesn't work.

I have windows XP.

Thanks for your time.

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

High Speed internet or dialup?

3. MeAmRussian

It didn't ask me that... but if it did i'd put high speed.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Do you have the latest player, for XP it is 10, for others there is 7 and some 9.

5. MeAmRussian

Yes, I have the latest version, 10. I did check for updates anyway; I have all the latest updates.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Are cookies enabled do you have a firewall? I'm guessing you are using internet explorer right?

7. MeAmRussian

I went to control panel --> Security... Nortan Antivirus Worm blocker on. I use avant... but that's basically the same thing as ineternet explorer (it's made from internet explorer). When I tried launching video using internet explorer, the popup window closes after 3 seconds saying I have a popup blocker on. I turned the internet explorer one off, but same problem occurs. I even tried holding down the ctrl key while launching video; same thing.

8. MeAmRussian

Aha, I deactived ad-watch, and the same thing occurs as always... video stopped. (Avant and IE ARE the same).

9. MeAmRussian

OK, I right clicked the player window when it was stopped and clicked error details. Here is the message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

What to do?

10. MeAmRussian

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Have you tried just to try using a different browser and reinstalling media player once you have the new browser to rule a few things out. and ofcourse when doing it have all blockers like norton, ad-aware etc disabled and cookies allowed just to see if itll work in new browser. (ofcourse don't forget to re-activate them when you are through testing)

12. MeAmRussian

Did what you said... still doesn't work :(

13. MeAmRussian

Please, anyone, any other suggestion how to fix this problem?

14. MeAmRussian

I'd like to bring this back up.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice