Can't see my computer in Network Neighborhood

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Johnny Do

I have 2 pcs that I want to connect using 2 Network Card and 1 cross over cable. The reason is I want to share some files between 2 computers and also sharing the Internet connection betweet them. I can see my computer in Network Neighborhood on one of the two(this PC is Pen III, win98se). The problem is I cannot see the other computer(Pen I, win95) on its Network Neiborhood. Therefore, there's no connection between 2 pcs whatsoever. Can someone help to connect my LAN? Please show me what I have to do to see my computer in its Network Neiborhood. By the way, the driver for each card has been installed properly.
Thanks

Johnny Do
There is endless possible combinations and problems that occur with networking and setup. Here is a site that I refer to when I stumped. Once there go to Win95 part way down page and see
Faq lists find why Win95 and 98 don't talk to eachother.
There is also step by step setup instructions.
Let us know how it turns out.
For site Click Here
Dave

Johnny Do

Hi,
thanks for your help, but i think I know why, still I need your help.
I think after I bought the Ethernet card, I installed the driver for this card, but I didn't install the Network Adapter for it, that's why the computer can't recognize it. Is that right? or I only need to install the driver for this card and that's it? By the way, the network card that I bought, the one that actually shows up in Network Configuration in Control Panel is:

Dial-up Adapter
Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
TCP/IP -> Dial-up Adapter
TCP/IP -> Realtek .....

Something like that.
If I need to install the Network Adapter Driver, then please show me how to install it, whether by download a file from the Internet? or from the floppy disk that come with the Card. I have the disk but I don't know what folder to get that Network Adapter Driver. Please help.

Johnny
Both machines have to have the same protocol either tcp-ip or netbeui. NetBeui is a very simple communication install but will not work if you decide to use the nic cards for internet communication later. Anyway again both machines need to be setup under the same protocol and as clients for microsoft networks. Setting as client for microsoft networks is done through the control panel/networks screen.
Here is a screen shot of how the config looks for tcp-ip.
Dave

Attachments

you have to share something before it shows up on the network. You can have the cards installed and everything working fine, but until you share a printer or drive you won't show up.

Since you are using your network to share files, NetBEUI is the one protocol that I would have on there. It does have a password thing that is a pain, but once you have your network up and running, you can take it off and tweak the system to make it work. It doesn't hurt to have the others, for that fact all of them.

To make a 'file' share, it would be best to make the drive a share drive. Right click on the drive in the My Computer screen. Go to Properties and click the sharing tab.

anglin_fool
RE: Signature.
Is that the craft you use for fishing the ocean? Rather large flying bridge don't you think. HeHe
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online