1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant see my desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by erikacaine, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erikacaine

erikacaine Thread Starter

My problem is when I turn my computer on, the windows 98 screen comes up and when the desktop should appear, I would describe it as scrolling, I cant see the icons or anything for that matter if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Erika

2. brianF

brianF

Restart the machine, just after the memory count and before windows loading message start tapping the F8 key, this should bring up the boot menu, from the menu choose safe mode.
    If windows boots up in safe mode the it's some type of device driver problem.
    Go to start/settings/control panel/display/settings tab, check your display settins and make sure they are normal.
    You may at this time want to reinstall your video drivers and try and reboot in normal mode.

3. erikacaine

erikacaine Thread Starter

Thanks Brian I can boot up in safe mode but i really dont know what I'm doing from there....I checked my display settings and I didn't recognize a problem and I also wanted to ask you about reinstalling my vidoe drivers can I just reinstall windows 98 or what do you suggest I'm nowhere near a computer whiz.....Thanks again

4. weatherman436

weatherman436

I would try reinstalling Win98 over the top of your current windows. If it does not work, than you will have to maybe format your pc. If you are not an computer whiz. I would ethier find a friend who knows what they are doing fix your computer, or take your computer into a shop to have it fixed.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi erika, before you go to the extreme of re-installing windows or reformatting the hard drive, while you are in safe mode, try removing the display adapter, then reboot. Windows should hopefully find the correct one. You may need the cd that came with the computer which should have the correct display adapter drivers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice