1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see my HDD anymore!! Please Help me!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beetlejud, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beetlejud

beetlejud Thread Starter

Hello Everybody!

First of all, sorry about my English!

So.. I have a super huge problem. My computer was working fine for like 2 years until Sunday. That's when I checked my computer and saw a message: Windows was unable to save file: D:/... etc.. (I'm sorry I didn't write it down.). It froze down. I couldn't do anything. I had to Reset the computer, but since that time the computer is unable to see my D: hard drive, which is a Seagate.

You should know my configuration:
    I have a Compaq Presario SR1911X with 2 hard drives. One is for the Windows XP: Samsung SP2004C, the other one is for all my data (photos, music, emails, everything!): Seagate ST3200826AS. This is the one which is not working.

I took my computer apart and tried to change the cabels, just to see if it's a cabel problem. It's not. And I can hear that the HDD has power because it gives me the sound.. But the only problem, that the computer doesn't recognize it anymore.

Please Please Please people, help me!!!! I don't want to loose all my data, expecially my photos. Also, I don't have the money to get it to a data recovery comptany.

Thank you!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the hard drive died. Good thing you backed everything up, huh? Data you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you don't want to keep.

Is the drive even spinning? Did it make any noise before quitting? If there is no access at all, a data recovery company may be the only answer. But they can cost 1000's of dollars, too.

You could try some hard drive tests if they will run on it.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
    BleepingComputer

3. beetlejud

beetlejud Thread Starter

hey,
    i can't run any diagnostic programs on the hdd because the bios doesn't recognize it anymore.

i was looking to get a new drive to take off the circuit board when i found out that this type of the seagate hdds are bad:
    http://www.salvage-data.com/Recover...te-Hard-Drive-Recovery/Seagate-ST3200826.html
    so i'm going to try what kieseyhow said on this forum:
    "by Kieseyhow [​IMG] Step One: I strongly suggest you mount run a full level 4 analysis on the drive using Spinrite 6.0. This will take a VERY long time, possibly as long as a week if the drive is REALLY bad. Do not bother with any level setting below level 4 analysis as they will not revive as many bad sectors as possible on the drive. All the possible sectors will be moved or marked appropriately as necessary for data recovery.

Step Two: Get yourself a copy of Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional and mount the bad drive in an actively cooled USB enclosure (so that the recovery system can boot effectively without interference form the bad drive). FIrst try an advanced Recovery, and specify the format system you had used, likely NTFS, you may also try a RAW recovery on the drive.

I strongly suggest that you use a computer for this that is not required on a daily basis. I use an old system used specifically for this as data recovery is offered as a service for customers willing to pay for it. Most of the time partial or complete recovery is possible on about 60% or more of failed drives. There are many other techniques and tricks to recovery data, but then I would need about ten pages of space to relay this. Techrepublic.com has some useful advice for recovering lost data."

and see what happens. i hope it's the right thing to do.
    is it important to get an external drive or i can use an internal too? i'm thinking of getting either a western digital external drive or a hitachi internal drive. but i heard that the western digital is not really good. so i need more opinion on that.
    i hope i can recover most of the stuff i have on my hdd.

thanks for your help!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like it's dead. Off to the store. You can try most anything at this point, just to be sure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice