1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant see my networked computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jtn3833, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I don't know why I have trouble with this, I'm pretty tech savvy but for some reason I cannot get my XP system and Win98 to recognize eachother on my network. The network is working because they both share a router and both can access the web fine but for some reason I cannot set it up to swap files between the two systems.
    Does anyone know of a good website with a tutorial that might help. I've tried many, many times and it just isn't happening (I even resorted to following the instructions which came with the router).

Thanks,
    JTN

2. blin

blin

Assuming you can ping each other by IP by not the hoostname. it could be the name resolution issue. You may try to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

MS provides many options for NetBIOS name resolution such as local cache ... NetBIOS and WINS name resolution is required only on mixed-mode (Windows 95, ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netbios&wins.htm

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
    - Each PC must have a unique computer name.
    - Each PC must have a network share defined.
    - ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
    - XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
    - MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
    - All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
    * To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
    - XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
    - All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
    - PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
    for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
    - XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
    Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
    --------------------------
    - Access this computer from the network: add guest
    - Deny logon locally: remove guest
    - Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
    - Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/403917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice