1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't See my new website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by webplus10newbie, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webplus10newbie

webplus10newbie Thread Starter

Hi
    this is extremely frustrating! I designed my website from webplus 10 and it looks great but I can't see it on the site. I keep getting Oops! "This link appears to be broken" Spoke to techs where my site is being hosted, and they said that their servers don't recognize wpp file extentions. I don't think there correct, I use webplus on another host and it works fine. Also what path should my website files go into? I have the root folder, do I need to make a child folder such as index.html?

Thanks for the help:confused::confused:

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Never used webplus BUT most web servers only understand htm, html, php and asp as valid extensions. I have never heard of wpp being a valid extension that isn't to say its not its just I have never heard of it. Is there some way to save your pages as html from webplus? If there is that is what you need to do OR move to the same hosting company that hosts your existing wpp files.

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

you upload the site to your public folder... not root
    I am not familiar with web 10 plus either...but anyway when you upload your site it goes in your public html folder

4. phyrtech

phyrtech

I am not familiar with WebPlus, however, a cursory google yielded the following:

"WebPlus creates projects in a proprietary format and generates the HTML pages only when you export your site to your web space" - http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/94337/webplus-10

I suspect that you are uploading the WebPlus project file (which has a .wpp file extension) instead of the actual website.

When you go into your web host control panel, what are the files that are listed in the root directory?

There should (at a very minimum) be an index.html which is the file that is loaded when someone browses to the website.

Sincerely,
    Nate

5. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Wow, that's old software. I'd never heard of it, must've been short-lived.
    Any reason you went with this software instead of something else?

6. caraewilton

caraewilton

If I am not mistaken... windows servers do use the root directory. Linux servers use the pulic folder.

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

That depends on how the FTP server is configured. If the user is taken to a directory one level above the root directory of the site, the user will have to change to the root directory of the site to upload the files to the right spot. If the user is taken to the root directory of the site when logging in through FTP, the user won't need to change directories unless uploading to subdirectories in their site.

Peace...

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

That folder varies per server too. A Plesk-based server, for example, uses HTTPDOCS.

9. tomdkat

Yep, between the web server configuration and the FTP server configuration, the place where the website files end up can be just about anywhere.

Peace...

10. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

If you have VPS or dedi, the php.ini and httpd.conf and other files can be in odd places, too. :(
    I had a heck of a time tracking down a file a while back, because of where Plesk stuck it.

11. josephajain

josephajain

I think you should again contact the server.

12. tomdkat

Tell me about it. : ) I actually prefer working with a dedicated box so I can install all the parts where I want them to go so I'll know where everything is. LOL

Peace...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice