1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see my optical drives in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MALFIE, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MALFIE

MALFIE Thread Starter

Yesterday I noticed that my DVD Reader & DVD burner were not displayed in MY Computer.. They are detected and shown in the bios and during initial startup but not in windows..
    What WAS bad timing I've since turned off System Restore while bug hunting and so cant go back..
    I've also found that my Acronis True Image claims it cannot detect ANY hard drives... and I have 3, all of which I see and can access...

I tried running sfc /scannow from command but it tells me the cd I put in was incorrect, it isn't.. so I guess its either not seeing the drive either or is , like me, confused..

I can do a restore from boot but I'm hoping someone can shed some light upon this strange abberation. In CP/Device Manager it show a yellow exclamation next to the optical drives and says its probable the drivers are corrupt.. but its looking more like the IDE system has problems as clearly the HDDs are not being perceived as they should be..

Any ideas??

ND.. the only program that was installed around that time was a trial version of XPRepair which, after it demanded registration to do anything other than detect, I uninstalled thru Add/Remove.. but it didnt go ( ???.. hmmmm?) so I took it out of the startup and physically removed it.. Still no go on the CD/DVD..

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Go back into device mangler and remove the optical drives. Re-boot and see if they come back without the !

3. norton850

norton850

4. MALFIE

MALFIE Thread Starter

Sacs: Tried that..still no go..
    but..
    Norton: The registry fix worked... spot on!... Thanks for the direction..

Acronis still cant see any fixed disks, but that could just be the proggie and quite unrelated...

Thanks all

Mal

5. norton850

norton850

The optical drive problem is common with XP. I have Acronis will have to see if I can help you with that one. When does it tell you that?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/445265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice