Can't see other computers in network using win2kpro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Thunder2k

I am running win2k pro with sp 4.0. I am using TCP/IP, print and file sharing for windows, Client for ms networks and I got desperate and enabled netbeui protocol. I have tried
using static ip addresses, creating Hosts files, defining default gateway (192.168.1.1) Sometimes I can see the other computers in the peer to peer network and sometimes not. They are both new installs of win2k w/ sp4. I try to map a drive on the other pc sometimes it doesn't see the other pc, sometimes it asks me for a login and password for the share (I use the admin login and password) but it asks me again for the
login????

I can ping the other pc I have tried to map drive using: \\ip address\share drive. I can't even use the default share of C$. Once I saw the other computer on the other computers around me but when I try to click on the computer to see the shares, I get "the server is
not set up for this operation" I am peer to peer, I don't have a
server. I have looked at the services and made sure the right ones are
started.

I am at my wits end ... I don't know what else to try. I have logged
into the router and everything is ok. I even disconnected the router
and connected with a switch to eliminate the router as a problem. I
think the problem is in the software but every time I work on it the
symptoms change I can't isolate the issue.

What do you think? I have another peer to peer with 10 PCs and a mix of
wired and wireless connections working fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online