1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see shares on Vista from XP only over wireless - need network genius!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by doggonemess, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggonemess

doggonemess Thread Starter

Greetings all,

I have a home network going over a D-Link router. I have two PC's running XP SP2, and a laptop running Vista. When the laptop is connected to the network router with a ethernet cable, it works fine. I can see shares on all the machines, and I can transfer files back and forth.

Now, if I unhook the cable and turn on the wireless, everything goes to poop. The Vista machine can see the "media sharing" icons for the networked desktops. I can type the IP address of a desktop and get to the shares, but I can't see the shares in the network discovery window. The XP machines can't see the Vista machine at all, and if I try to get it to manually, it tells me "You might now have permission to view this network resource..." blah blah blah. It's very irritating.

Here's what I've done:
    I made sure all computers were on the same workgroup.
    I set up the same user and password on all machines.
    I enabled and then disabled PPS on Vista.
    I tried setting up the share with the link in the right click menu, and then a different way by going to the properties on the folder and doing advanced setup.
    I even downloaded Link Layer Topology Discovery for XP, and it didn't do anything.

Through all of this, I can still connect with a cable and then everything works great. Back to the wireless, nothing works right.

I'm going out of my mind here. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Jamie Carter

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is the wireless set to Public or private?
    To access the network AT home one needs to be private, and to be protected when at the mall or coffee shop one needs to be public.
    You can check you settings by Right clicking the network icon and selecting network sharing center.

3. doggonemess

doggonemess Thread Starter

It is private, but I solved it last night, and wanted to share. The issue was with my router. I had a D-Link DI-624, which is pretty old. Apparently, it has some sort of issue connecting to the Vista machine wirelessly, but not wired. I just bought a Linksys WRT54G2, and it works great!

Just wanted to share. Thanks for the help!

Leonard Carter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!