1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant see status of Local Area Connection and doesnt show in system tray

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spoofy, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spoofy

spoofy Thread Starter

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I recently had a XP defender 2010 trojan and after removing it with MBAM (note i got this trojan more than once) i noticed some issues with my pc

Im running windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3

In network connections, you can right click on Local area connection and on the menu I cannot check the status. It just doesn't do anything. No error or anything.Also my network connection no longer shows up in the system tray even though i have the option checked when i right click on network connections.

Also when i try to disable my connection, (im running a usb connection through a netgear router the ethernet is conencted to another pc btw this error happens for both connections) and connect to my ethernet (this is becoz i copy files from my pc to xbox via ethernet cable) i would have to restart my pc to be able to connect and when i finsihed with that, i would have to restart it again, becoz when i go to network connections and try to enable the connection nohting happens and it doesnt connect to the internet without me rebooting the pc

Overall its not a big issue, but id still like it to be addressed,

Any help is appreciated

Again sorry if this is the wrong forum

I think some registry may have been affected.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall whatever non-Windows security applications (firewall, security suite, anti-virus, etc.) you have, and then run the Removal Tool is one is supplied. You can reinstall it/them after running the following repairs and testing.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. spoofy

spoofy Thread Starter

Thnx for the reply

I uninstalled AVG and Spybot, and ran the commands,

but unfortunately i still cant see my Local Area Connection in my system tray and when i access it through the start menu > network connections > and try to click status on the lan connection nothing still happens.

EDIT:

Actually its all good now, i think it was due to my malware problems before, i ran combofix after consulting the malware forum about a recent attack, and now the icons appear,

Thanks for the Help much appreciated

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad you found a fix. :) You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice