1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see the internet -

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mjsigns, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

I have a 3 pc network all running XP-professional. I am using a lynksys router and have all three systems seeing each other. I can only see the internet on two of the PC's. I have already called Lynksys, and we pinged the router and that worked. When I try to access the 192.196.1.1 router address from IE, I get that page not found error message. Just can't see the internet from that PC . The Tech at Lynksys said to reinstall IE and try that approach.... I tried to uninstall IE and of course I can't seem to uninstall it. Short of this approach, anyone have any quick and easy fixes or ideas ? I'm all out of ideas... :confused:

Thanks

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

First, what kind of IP are you getting on this machine? It should be something like 192.168.1.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did you setup the router with the install cd or by yourself?

are the computers obtaining the ip address automatically?

4. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

I manually set it up. I am using Static IP's 192.168.1.125- 126- and 127

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't ping outside your network through the router, then you need to get that resolved before you worry about what may or may not be wrong with IE.

Confirm that all the IP address information is correct (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS address)

If you can't ping by IP address past your router, then the next most likely cause is corrupted winsock2 registry entries.

WINSOCK2 FIX
    =============
    If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

TCP/IP RESET
    =============
    If you need to reset the TCP/IP protocol stack with XP you need to run a small script:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

the log_file_name needs to be specified.
    e.g. - netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd configure then all for automatic IP and DNS addresses and see if that gets you going...

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you manually set up the IP address information, just make sure you have the correct IP scheme (which is seems you do), the correct subnet mask, gateway and DNS entries. It's not that hard if you want to go that way. I'll assume you know how to do this since the other computers are working ok. But maybe a good idea to check anyway.

If these are correct and if you can't even access your router (and all you need for this is the IP address and subnet mask to be correct), then likely there are other problems with the protocol stack.

After that is resolved, usually when there are problems accessing the Internet, from a dos window I:

1. Try pinging your router's IP.
    2. Try pinging an external IP address (e.g. ping 199.181.164.1)
    3. Try pinging an external site (e.g. ping www.yahoo.com)

Pretty much need to get this working before you can worry about the browser.

8. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

Hi Bob-
    Pinged router's IP. - Check ~
    Pinged an external IP address (e.g. ping 199.181.164.1) - Check ~
    **Tried pinging an external site (e.g. ping www.yahoo.com) -** NoGo **

What's next ?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Assuming that you have already tried the winsock fix.
    Are you manually entering in the IP address information?

If you can ping by IP, then you can access the Internet. It might not be totally complete but at least you can get out.

The next most likely cause of being able to ping by IP but not by Name is an incorrect DNS entry.

Most times, you can simply use the IP address of the router for this.

Sometimes I've seen where if you manually enter in the IP address information, it works better to enter in the DNS entries that is being used by the router instead.

10. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

Bob-
    I'm not real clear on the winsocks fix. I am comfortable editing my registry, but I am confused about the replacement operation. Back in the days of WIN3.1 it was simple...

Do I need to assign static DNS# in my router configuration? Right now it is set to DHCP. Should I use the static IP address of the router for the DNS entries of my PC's?

I getting confused.....

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you look at the two Reg files, you can either import them directly, or make the change yourself manually.

Never said anything about changing any of the DNS settings in the router. You previously stated that you had manually entered in the IP information on the computers. I said that "Sometimes I've seen where if you manually enter in the IP address information, it works better to enter in the DNS entries that is being used by the router instead.". That would be on the workstation.

12. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

Bob-
    Seems like importing them would be much easier than trying to manually make corrections. Since I have never performed an import into a registry, could you show me where/how this is done? Maybe a link with some instructions?

Thanks-

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And what happened when you clicked on the links previously provided?

14. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

Bob-
    The links opened up in my browser(Firefox). The pages were displayed in a text format. The second link was much larger and displayed several several paragraphs of hex. Should I point my IE browser to those links? :confused:

15. mjsigns

mjsigns Thread Starter

BOB Thank You So Much - (y)
    The windsock fix worked beautifully.
    Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah
    Used IE and saved the files to a floppy. Ran them on my sons PC and Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah IT WORKED (y) (y) (y) :) :) :)

Problem Resolved-
    Thanks again

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice