1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see the rest of my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by angelmad_222, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelmad_222

angelmad_222 Thread Starter

Hello,

Our family has set-up a network between two computers. One is an Aptiva IBM on Win98SE and the other is a custom-built one on WinXP. We are connected by two network adapters and a cable running between them. We are also rather new at this thing. Anyway, we set it up- establishing everything from the WinXP computer (obviously bigger hard drive space and faster). We, however, have run into a small problem that the WinXP computer can see both itself and the Win98 one on the network, but the Win98 computer can only see itself on the network. Also, sometimes the WinXP computer can see Win98 but cannot access the 'Shared Document' folder on the Win98 one.

This is proving quite fustrating, as at an earlier point we were able to get both computers to see themselves and each other, and perfectly access each other and then without restarting the computer or changing either one majorly... we found ourselves with the problem described above. Any help in solving this problem would be most appreciated. Thankyou.

BTW:

If this is any help, the network stats for the Win98 machine:

HOST INFORMATION:
    Host: bigpond
    DNS Server: 61.9.194.49
    Node Type: Broadcast
    NetBios Scope ID: None
    IP Routing Enabled: Disabled
    WINS Proxy Enabled: Disabled
    NetBios Resolution Uses DNS: Yes

ETHERNET ADAPTER INFORMATION:
    Adapter Address: 00-0A-EB-98-A2-BF
    IP Autoconfiguration Address: 169.254.88.232
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: None
    DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server: None
    Secondary WINS Server: None

Network Stats for the WinXP Machine:

WINDOWS IP CONFIGURATION:

Host name: digi
    Primary DNS Suffix: None
    Node Type: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: nsw.bigpond.net.au
    Description: Realtek TRL8139/810X Family PCI Fast
    Physical Address: 00-0A-EB-98-87-BO
    DHCP Enabled: No
    IP Address: 10.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

ETHERNET ADAPTER NETWORK BRIDGE:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: None
    Description: MAC Bridge Minipoint
    Physical Address: 12-18-A8-21-FB-02
    DHCP: No
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

2. jackdw

jackdw

I have little experience with networking 98. And that was a bad one.
    It woudl be worth the money upgrading it to XP because it si SO much easier to network and share files..

3. angelmad_222

Ah, I would love to update to XP but the Win98 simply cannot cope with XP, we have tried it. We have had hardware compatibility problems, not enough memory, etc.

Also I noticed that I have to keep 're-installing' the network on the Win98 machine using NetSetup.exe for it to see WinXP machine, and then WinXP disappears.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your XP machine is connected via a Realtec NIC to something (using static IP 10.0.0.1) and has ICS enabled on this connection even though there is neither Gateway nor DNS specified, and is connected to something else via MAC Bridge Minipoint, and those two connections are bridged. Right?

Your 98SE is connected, maybe, to one of the above connections and, not finding a Dhcp server, is assigned an APIPA. Right?

With this configuration I cannot understand how either PC can ping or access in any other way the other computer.

What are you trying to do? Are you using a cross-over cable between PCs, or know that one of the ports is auto-sensing?

5. angelmad_222

The something that the Realtec is connected to is a TP-LINK TF-3239 Series Fast Ethernet Adapter (the 98SE has this adapter). I assume the TP-LINK is the something connected to the MAC Brige Miniport as well. Anyway, yes it has ICS enabled and there is neither Gateway or DNS specified. And yes, the two connections are bridged.

As for my 98SE, I assume it is finding a DHCP server otherwise the address (255.255.255.255) would not come up. Unless, those numbers actually do mean it cannot find a server and which in that case, the 98SE is using an APIPA.

I also did a ping test and it revealed on both machines that all packets were lost. Despite WinXP showing that it can see 98SE.

We are using a cross-over cable between the PCs, a CAT-5 if that helps.

Update: Both computers can now ping each other. I changed their IPs to this:

Win98SE

WinXP

So I'm guessing making their IPs very similar is one step in the right direction. Anything else?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, at least you now have communication between the two machines. You asked "Anything else?" but I still don't understand what you're trying to do, so have no idea how to answer that. Is there still something that you are trying to do that's not working?

7. angelmad_222

Now that I have communication, what I want is to get the two computers to be able to access and see other each other on the network. I want 98SE to see WinXP on the Neighbourhood Network, and be able to access XP's files (those files which are marked as shared documents of course), and vice versa. I currently don't have that and to me, achieveing that would be just perfect.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here is a wizard way to enable file and printer sharing. An alternative to creating a wizard disk to run on the 98SE is to use the Windows XP CD--the network setup wizard is in "Other Tasks."

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

9. angelmad_222

More good news. I typed into 'Run' on the 98SE '\\digi' which is the name of the WinXP PC, and everything came up! I could see all the folders and acess them, it was great. Though I can't see it in the Neighbourhood Network, I will probably have to do as you suggested- wait a while for everything to catch up, it's great. Anyway I went to the XP machine. I did 'Run' and typed '\\tank' (name of 98SE PC), and it was no go! It said that 'Tank' was in-accessible, I needed to contact my administrator and that the network path did not exist. However, looking at the Network in Explorer... I can see both 'Digi' and 'Tank', just can't access Tank.

10. Pandemonium009

Pandemonium009

If you now can ping between the pc's then all you should have to do is make sure they are on the same workgroup, make sure you have drives shared on both pc's, and make sure you don't have a firewall blocking connectivity. Also, each pc has to be able to authenticate with one another via username/password so they have to match and be unique. You might want to install IPX/SPX/NetBIOS on the xp machine to help it converse with the win98 machine. If I was configuring this network, i wouldn't do it without a switch though. Also, you might consider putting them on a 'normal' subnet instead of 169.x.x.x like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. Reason being, in the future, you might want to add hardware to find that they default to one of these two subnets. For example, external print servers.

11. Pandemonium009

Pandemonium009

it's because the username/password on your xp machine has to be on the win98 pc

12. angelmad_222

Yah, we have a login screen for 98SE (just username but no password) but nothing for WinXP. So do I set up a username/password for both 98SE and WinXP? Also, do the username/passwords- can they be different for each computer or can they be the same?

13. angelmad_222

My problem has been solved! Just made a logon for WinXP with username/password, and now everything is just dandy. Thankyou TerryNet and Pandemonium009.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, angelmad_222. Sure am glad Pandemonium009 spoke up, 'cause I may have never thought of the username/password deal.

You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice