1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see wireless router signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcguy9441, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I have a weird issue with a router maybe someone can help with. I am trying to use a pre-existing DSL modem-router config in a club house my group uses for monthly meetings. It’s a separate modem and router (Linksys or Netgear), forget modem brand. I'm unable to communicate with the owners of the equipment. If I connect to the router directly with a cat5 patch cord I can get on the internet just fine, but do not see a wireless signal from the router. I am also unable to connect with 192.168.1.1 from my laptop. I get the same message as if I'd entered a random nonsense url. I know you can go into your router and disable wireless but first you have to talk to it via 192.168.1.1 .

So I got clever and piggybacked another known good router into one of the Ethernet ports on the 1st router, and again got on the internet with a direct cat5 connection. But this time, I DO SEE the wireless signal from my 2nd router and can connect to it from the laptop, but still no internet! it's like internet access is blocked in the 1st router.

All I can figure is they changed the url address from 192.168.1.1 and turned off wireless. I considered hijacking the dsl phone line right into my router (DSL out from existing modem), but did not want to interfere with any potential existing traffic.

Any ideas what’s going on? Can you go into a router and change the standard 192.168.1.1 to something else? Why not just use the password for security?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is not standard
    post back an ipconfig /all - lets see the default gateway and if it is 192.168.1.1

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

ok, but may be a while before I can get back over there. Place is locked up, etc. and I need to sync up with the guy with the keys.

On the 192.168.1.1, I call it "standard" since it's what every Linksys or Netgear or 2Wire router I've ever seen wanted, I guess there are other brands. Only exception for me was my Actiontec that wanted 192.168 .0.1 since it was a modem/router combo. I assumed modems want the .0.1

What's "standard" and who/what defines it? Can a router user change it to something else and why would they want to?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your correct most brands use the same IP throughout the range

A user can change the IP quite easily - hence the request to see what the default gateway is on an ipconfig /all

a factory reset will return to the default settings used by the manufacturer

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    None. Each manufacturer has a default or two, and that is about as "standard" as it gets.

Yes, it can be changed. Should be, and most times has to be, changed if daisy-chained routers are defaulting to the same LAN IP subnet. I change my primary router to match the IP address and Dhcp server's address range of my first router; that is easier for me to do then to change the static IP addresses on my multi-function printer, IP cameras and a wireless bridge. I change the IP address of a secondary router used as a WAP so that it can be easily accessed over the network. There, of course, are other reasons to change the router's default LAN IP.

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. All very educational as I'd never thought it thru that far. This little exercise is the first time I'd daisy-chained 2 routers and just did it on a hunch it should work. After the exercise at the club house (where problem exists) I plan to experiment at home in the interest of science. I have 2 spare routers,

I'm not well versed in interpreting an ipconfig display, and wouldn't mind a little help. Please see attached ipconfig from my tower system at home and tell me where to look for desired IP info. I'd expect to see 192.168.1.1 there somewhere. Do not see any thing obvious. I have one Netgear R3400 dual-band "n" router, period.

I'm betting they changed the IP addr either for security, and/or because the wireless router feeds a small Cisco box that in turn feeds a dish antenna on the roof. Did not concern myself with that since it's downstream from my area of interest. I'm just trying to get a wireless signal from the router. I'm ok with leaving my router there in daisy-chain mode, which again, does give me a wifi signal I can lock on, but oddly no internet connection. Internet only with direct cat5 connection.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Ok, I did get in to my router with 10.0.0.1 - see attachment, but 192.168.1.1 also still works, as usual. What's the difference and where did the 10.0.0.1 come from?

Attached Files:

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you have that router connected to a 2nd router- you sure the 192.168.1.1 is not another router connected ?

10. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Yeah, just one router in the picture at present. Turns out logging in with 10.0.0.1 the 1st time permanently DID change it from 192...etc. to 10.0.0.1. No harm-no foul.

See attachment. Is there where I change it back if I want to? looks like you can make it anything you want, right?

Attached Files:

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, the convention is to use the private IP address in the link

change the router IP and the DHCP range

12. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Copy that. Will be a few days before I get over there again to play with it.

Thanks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice