1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't seem to get extended desktop working?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FrenchPoodle, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrenchPoodle

FrenchPoodle Thread Starter

Hey everyone, well I can't seem to get my second monitor to work? I think its just my DVI port on my video card, but I don't think the port is dead or anything, I think its more of just a vista problem. I have a 22'' Samsung 225BW and an Envision 17'' monitor (can't remember the product num right now), and a custom built computer using an ATI X1650.

I just reinstalled all the drivers (for my monitors and my video cards) and still no help, it seems to recognize that there is a second monitor plugged in, it just doesn't want to get enabled

2. cherry pie

cherry pie

You're using a laptop right?
    How are you trying to enable the second monitor? you need to press something on the keyboard like FN+F4 (might differ for different laptops)
    Or right click the desktop > Personalize > Display Settings > Right click the second monitor (which should show as shaded) and click attached.

3. FrenchPoodle

no I'm on a desktop I built myself.. I've had this computer for a while, and I've used vista... just I took my monitor off for a while (I needed it at work) and when I attached it again, the secondary monitor didn't seem to work anymore (well the port its connected to)

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure you use Vista drivers and NOT XP drivers?

5. FrenchPoodle

yea, I'm using vista ATI drivers, but my Envision and Samsung drivers (for my two monitors) are XP drivers, but there aren't Vista drivers... I had it working in vista before.. just it seemed once I took my monitor off, it doesn't work anymore...

maybe a dead cable???

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice