1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't seem to get my head around this

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Couriant, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    I'm pretty sure this is something to do with a script or group policy but I can't pinpoint it.

I support 3 universities on campus. One of them has a few departments but 1 of the departments are having trouble keeping a mapped drive. 2 of them have been here for some time, another just started.

The issue: The mapped drive disappears after a reboot/log out.

I have manually mapped the drive with different drive letters and made sure that reconnect on log on is selected but to no avail, they still disappear.

One of the users stated that she can get to the location if she goes to Recent Places and then the drive will at some point show up.

I am at a loss on this... The main IT group (not on this campus) have no clue themselves... which doesn't help.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I believe that is correct behaviour.
    For security reasons you cannot see a drive on a network until you are signed on to that network and authorised.
    If I remember correctly, that has always been a problem even with home networks where you cannot see a shared drive until you have logged on. Don't forget that Windows logon and network logon ARE different, but are often combined on home machines.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    Yeah I am guessing some kind of networking ... though their H: is the root folder for the mapped drive I was doing and that does not go. :/ Anywho I have left it in the capable hands of the networking team from both schools... :D we shall see.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice