Can't seem to install XP on a Dell desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nitro237

OK, I am pulling my hair out. I have a Dell Vostro 200 that came with Vista. I am trying to install XP on it. It starts going through the setup routine and then tells me it can't locate the hard drive.

I know when XP came out sometimes you had to install the SATA during the install, but I haven't had to do that in ages.

Is there a setting in the bios or something??

XP has no native support for SATA drives so you need the driver to install it.

nitro237

Well, I have installed XP on at least 25 systems in the past 6 months with SATA hard drives and have not had to install the SATA drivers.

However , I did have to install the SATA numerous times when SATA drives first came out.

I might be wrong, but it seems anything pretty new would not need the SATA drivers.

I know on Dell laptops with SATA drives you have to go into the bios and change it from ahci to ata to install XP and everythings fine.

Yes, with some, all you need do is change BIOS settings. By far the majority of people in this forum with problems lack the SATA driver.

You can download your Dell Vostro 200 SATA Driver here.

You can find the SATA drivers for most new machines on public download sites, like Download.com, Majorgeeks.com, or Softpedia.com.

nitro237

Yes, with some, all you need do is change BIOS settings. By far the majority of people in this forum with problems lack the SATA driver.

You can download your Dell Vostro 200 SATA Driver here.

You can find the SATA drivers for most new machines on public download sites, like Download.com, Majorgeeks.com, or Softpedia.com.
Guess I'll give that a try. Just hoping for something easy.

Thanks !!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online