Can't seemingly boot to my new SSD :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Turtleback217

Could my AB350 Pro4 Motherboard not support UEFI boot to the SSD drive?

I just bought an ssd (Samsung SSD Internal 860 EVO 2.5" (1 To)), I'm able to install windows on it but once it's installed, it restarts the computer and goes directly to the BIOS (or to the start of the installation if I leave my USB key plugged in).

When I go to the BIOS to change the Boot priorities, all I see is UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell, and Disabled. Is it my mobo? Does someone know anything about this?

Thank you so much

crjdriver

You are installing from a usb you made with the media creation tool correct?

Do the following;
1 On a working system, connect the samsung drive
2 Download and install the samsung magician software
3 Have the software secure erase the drive
4 Pull the drive and install on your system
5 Make sure the samsung drive is the ONLY drive installed when you install windows
6 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Return the jumper to the normal position
7 Now install windows. Once the install is done, shutdown and connect any other drives ie hard disk, etc

Turtleback217

Hi crjdriver, thank you for the comprehensive answer. I'm trying to do all this but the magician software doesn't seem to see my ssd (see screenshot) :unsure:...

IMG_5092.jpg

crjdriver

Does the bios on the working system recognize the ssd? If so, you can use the clean command in diskpart to wipe the drive. Be sure of what disk you select; once you clean a disk with the clean command, ALL data is gone. Again be sure of what you are doing. Here is a link that explains the command prompt and diskpart;
https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/clean-disk-4125.html

Turtleback217

Ah. I did do that a couple of times already =/
Would the cmos clearing make a difference?

crjdriver

If your bios is in legacy mode, that will return it to uefi mode.
You did not answer; does the bios on the working system "See" your drive?

crjdriver

OK, try again. Have only the ssd drive connected to the system. Pull the pw connectors from any other drives. Boot with a windows install usb and be sure you delete ALL partitions on the drive during setup. When you are finished, reboot. If all is well, then shutdown and reconnect any drives you disconnected. Again reboot and make sure all is well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online