Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio not working on old Lenovo desktop

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  cdgogreen 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am unable to set my speakers as the default output device on windows 10. (It was working fine until I changed it when I couldn't hear a person speaking on zoom). When I right click it, the option to set it as the default device is not highlighted. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Hi,
My audio output on my computer is not working. I have fiddled around with the icons many times. A couple times after fiddling around with it, it started to work, only to Stop working a few hours later. I have tried new speakers and a new USB to audio adapter and that didn't help. When I put the speakers right next to my ear, I can hear a low hissing. I have windows 10, 64 bit operating system on a Lenovo desk top. It is 10 years old, and I would like to keep using it for as long as I can. Any idea what's wrong?
Thank you.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20200729041333.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Hard Drives: C: 905 GB (824 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO To be filled by O.E.M., ver To be filled by O.E.M., s/n INVALID
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 123, s/n ES07662462
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#7 ·
I had previously posted in this thread only to let you know about the merging of threads, but I will see what I can do to help. I have also edited the thread title to highlight the remaining problem.

I have fiddled around with the icons many times.
For exactly which icons have you been modifying the settings? Have you opened the sound mixer control panel to make sure nothing is muted or at a zero volume setting?

Have you opened the System Sound Settings app and checked the master volume setting? Did you try the Output troubleshooting button in that app?

I have windows 10, 64 bit operating system on a Lenovo desk top. It is 10 years old,
That computer probably originally came with Windows 7 installed on it. The free upgrade to Windows 10 and subsequent updates had been known to have driver issues that included sound drivers on some older hardware. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound hardware drivers?

#11 ·
I ran the sound troubleshooter and the drivers needed to be updated. So I updated them then did a 4th check to make sure everything was still plugged in property. The USB cable was plugged in but the audio cable had come unplugged. Now my speakers work. I also changed the icons in the sound playback in the control panel so I could tell which are my speakers, which is my microphone, and which is some unknown device that is for some reason listed as one of the sound devices on my computer.

#12 ·
Hi,
the speaker sound quit again. The wires are all plugged in correctly, the headset plays sound fine. Some of the sound icons also only work sporadically-on the desktop and in the control panel. Windows 10 speech recognition works sometimes and other times it will go to sleep if I pause for 10 seconds. I tried system restore and that didn't work. is this a hardware issue? Do I need a new computer?

Also, when I put the speaker right next to my ear, I can hear faint music, even when there is no music playing on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.