1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't send emails using email clients

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yonyz, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm unable to send email messages using Thunderbird/Outlook and my Gmail account.
    I'm getting an SMTP error. My SMTP port is 587 using TLS autnentication. I've also tried port 25 with SSL authentication.

I've followed Gmail's guide when I configured my Gmail account on Thunderbird. Note that I can receive emails (via POP).

The other computer in our house is unable to send emails using email clients, too.

I've also followed a Gmail guide on SMTP errors. I've tried all of the suggestions, until I've come one that suggests trying a TELNET command. The command is unable to execute, too.

Here's the Gmail guide I was following: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78775

And here are the TELNET test's results:
    http://i29.tinypic.com/33x9fkj.png

I was trying to fix this SMTP problem for nearly 2 years, but I've never managed to send even one email using an email client. I've also tried on Windows XP, Vista and 7. Hell ,I even tried Ubuntu's Evolution email client.

My ISP say they can't help me since I'm not using their email service, but Gmail.

And ideas on how to fix this problem once and for all?

Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you send email to your ISP using SMTP? I don't do anything special for gmail, here's my SMPT configuration from Thunderbird.

Attached Files:

• mail.jpg
      mail.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
  3. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

What do you mean by "send email to your ISP"? What's the point in sending them an email?

BTW: My Thunderbird settings are as yours.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

There was a recent change but first of all make sure you have checked "my outgoing server requires authentication".
    Incoming port should be 995 and outgoing should be 465 and "this server requires and encrypted connection" should be checked also.

5. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

"My outgoing server requires authentication", "this server requires an encrypted connection" - Are you talking about Thunderbird, Rich-M? Cause I personally couldn't find these two options.

Alright, a little Googling had led me to understand that you're talking about Outlook. So, although I mentioned Outlook on my original post, I do not have it installed.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

The settings shopuld be there I don't use Thunderbird so I don't know where but if should be in something liek "Tools" "Account Settings" and then "Advanced" not "Options".

7. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

My Thunderbird is configured just fine. I've tried many varieties, but they all don't work. Well, maybe they are not the problem, because I followed the Gmail Thunderbird 2 guide.

8. JohnWill

Well, blow me down! I hadn't sent mail via gmail for some time, and it didn't go when I tested it. I fixed it now, and I send and receive just fine using gmail with the following settings.

Attached Files:

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey I don't mind helping you for a change!

10. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

That's not working, either.
    The port is probably blocked. How can I open SMTP ports (I only know about TCP and UDP)?

11. JohnWill

You don't have to open any ports for email, they're all outgoing ports. Can you send email to any SMTP server?

12. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I can definitely send emails using the Gmail Web application.

13. JohnWill

Do you have any other email accounts, like with your ISP? If so, can you send email to them using Thunderbird or Outlook?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you possibly have a non-Windows firewall or security suite that is blocking Thunderbird/Outlook?

15. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

John: My brother knows the details of our ISP email account, but does it really matter who I'm sending the email to? Or perhaps you suggest using that email account to send emails from?

TerryNet: I only use Panda Cloud Antivirus. Turning Windows Firewall for both private and public network doesn't help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice