1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't send out email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by philip1519, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip1519

philip1519 Thread Starter

When I try to send email in Outlook Express I get an error message that states : server rejects senders email address...server response:'553 authentication is required to send as johnz.doejr. I have recently changed my email address by ommitting the "jr" and then, after having this problem, I accessed outlook>tools>properties>mail>general(correct order?) and typed in the new address sans the "jr" but the server still seems not to recognize my new address. Any ideas? I'm very new to this world.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I do not use OE, but try the following:

Select Tools on the Outlook Express menu and open the Accounts item
    Click the Mail tab to show all your email accounts
    Highlight the email account you are using, and click the Properties button to show the settings
    Click the Servers tab, which shows you all the mail server settings
    In the Outgoing Mail Server section, make sure the "My server requires authentication" checkbox is checked
    Click the Settings... button next to it and be sure the "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server" option is selected.

3. philip1519

Thanks Kiwiguy but all was as you said it should be and I am still stuck. Any other ideas?

4. DVOM

DVOM

How did you change your email address? Did you change ISP's or did you have your ISP create another email account?

The problem could be on their end and not yours.

5. philip1519

I went through Verizon.net's online help service to simplify my address. Originally I thought that I was applying for an alias, but when I got there I actually changed my address. Do you think that I should contact Verizon first?

6. DVOM

DVOM

If it still works with your old address then you'll probably have to get in touch with Verizon to straighten it out.

7. Del

Del

When you said you changed you email address, do you mean you changed it with your ISP, then in Outlook Express. If you just change it in OE and not with your ISP, it is an invalide email address and you will not be able to use it, till you change it with your ISP and they or you change it on the email server.

8. philip1519

I first changed it with my ISP and had the problem BEFORE I changed it in Outlook. After changing it in Outlook there was not a positive outcome. I'm going to go to my ISP and report back when I have more information. I suspect, however, that I am missing some sort of notification to the server.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/174672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice