Can't set primary boot to hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Hi
I've recently windows-repaired my Dell Latitude laptop and run the Dell Update program and she's running better than she has in years. One small annoyance--during the process, the Boot priorities some how became rearranged and now every time I boot the PC I get 'start PXE over IPV6' followed by ' start PXE over IPV4.' I can Esc from both of these and the PC boots to hard drive (as I would wish.'

I've tried everything I can think of: accessed BIOS through F2 during start, disabled security boot, selected legacy options and moved hard drive option to the top of the resulting list. Still the PC insists on booting through IPV6 & 4. Obviously I'm missing something here, but I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 15830 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 1846 GB (1209 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); H: 931 GB (288 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 09PHHV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
what is the full model details of the latitude and the serial number
If the board supports UEFI and that is how Windows 10 is installed you do not want legacy options you want UEFI
ON UEFI firmware boot you should see Windows Boot Manager or whatever your UEFI setup on the Dell calls it
The file should be something similar to this
EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BOOTMGFW.EFI
that is the boot device you need
as per the third image down on this link
https://www.winhelp.us/computer-boot-order.html

The reason it boots to the PXE is that this is a network boot and it will attempt to boot to those, until by keying escape it finds the correct boot device

IF you get a solution on the other forums where you have asked before you work on this one, kindly still come back here and mark your topic here solved, by clicking mark solved on your opening post.

Last edited:

Couriant

James
You can disable that by going into the BIOS and unchecking the options in the Boot section, or by changing the NIC option under Advanced from Enabled with PXE to just Enabled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!