Solved Can't set up Yahoo Account in MS office Outlook

jobear

this happens to me every time I change computers.
Below is the best instructions I can find but can't locate a drop-down list.
I have tried all kinds of google instructions but can't locate the items they ask me to go to generate a password.

Select Outlook Desktop from the drop-down list, and then select Generate. Yahoo will display an app password for you. Copy this password (without the spaces) and enter this password when Outlook prompts you for a password. Once you've copied this app password, you can add your Yahoo!

Help if you can, thanks in advance.

jobear

thanks for responding, have been gone all afternoon.
When I go there it says to click on settings and all I get is colors and format. When I click on my name I get manage accounts. I go to manage accounts and there isn't a way to generate a password. Confusing.

Couriant

James
thanks for responding, have been gone all afternoon.
When I go there it says to click on settings and all I get is colors and format. When I click on my name I get manage accounts. I go to manage accounts and there isn't a way to generate a password. Confusing.
In manage your account can you find something that resembles Security?

I haven’t had an active yahoo account for years so I can log in to confirm

jobear

when I go to security is just gives me the info that I have changed a password and when.
I do have a working outlook page as it has my iCloud address and calendar.
I'm thinking that maybe I need an ATT password that is generated as that is my mail and provider and they use yahoo. thanks

jobear

I found a support page on the yahoo site for POP3 access. If you are using POP3 to access your inbox are these the instructions you are following?

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html
when I go to security is just gives me the info that I have changed a password and when.
I do have a working outlook page as it has my iCloud address and calendar.
I'm thinking that maybe I need an ATT password that is generated as that is my mail and provider and they use yahoo. thanks

cwwozniak

Chuck
I need an ATT password
I have a pre-AT&T sbcglobal.net email address that is on the yahoo mail server. I recall needing to go to an AT&T branded email settings page a few years ago to generate a special AT&T password for use with Outlook. I also vaguely recall I either needed to turn off all my Firefox add ons or switch to Internet Explorer in order to get the key generator link to appear.

Couriant

James
The directions may be outdated. Yahoo Mail has been used for other services like AT&T.

In Account Security, go down to App Passwords and click Generate App Password

1642184157970.png

Follow the prompts to get started, then on this page, type Outlook and click Generate Password.

1642184464976.png

On the next page, copy the password to a text file so you can enter it as your password instead of your normal password in Outlook.

Having said that:

You should only need this if you are using an outdated version of Outlook, or any application that doesn't support 2 Factor Authentication. What version of Outlook are you using?

The best security to use is 2 Factor Authentication, however Yahoo is still behind the times as they don't offer using an authentication app. It's either SMS or using a security key like YubiKey.

jobear

I have a pre-AT&T sbcglobal.net email address that is on the yahoo mail server. I recall needing to go to an AT&T branded email settings page a few years ago to generate a special AT&T password for use with Outlook. I also vaguely recall I either needed to turn off all my Firefox add ons or switch to Internet Explorer in order to get the key generator link to appear.
every time i go to account/security it logs me out

Couriant

James
What browser are you using? It did that to me too, but I figured it was because I was on the page idle for a bit.

jobear

The directions may be outdated. Yahoo Mail has been used for other services like AT&T.

In Account Security, go down to App Passwords and click Generate App Password

View attachment 293584

Follow the prompts to get started, then on this page, type Outlook and click Generate Password.

View attachment 293585

On the next page, copy the password to a text file so you can enter it as your password instead of your normal password in Outlook.

Having said that:

You should only need this if you are using an outdated version of Outlook, or any application that doesn't support 2 Factor Authentication. What version of Outlook are you using?

The best security to use is 2 Factor Authentication, however Yahoo is still behind the times as they don't offer using an authentication app. It's either SMS or using a security key like YubiKey.
every time I go to account security it signs me out and then Last Pass signs me back in. ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online