1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Share c:\

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NetGuru(), May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

Im very new at networking. Now I have two pc, so i decided to conect them with windows xp pro. Everything is going fine, except for one thing - I cant share c:\ and i dont Know why.

The computers says something like "folder was shared for administrative rights", and a c$ appears as the sharing name. The problem is that I cant open many of the folders in c:\, and some others I can.

I would like to experiment some things, but for that i need to have drive c shared

I know this must be a very simple problem, but i need help, please...

2. lunchbox

lunchbox

You should be able to access that share using //PCNAME/C$

If not, You should be able to access it by right clicking the drive in my computer, File sharing and ticking the boxes.

If that does not work you can disable the administrative shares

*Exert from MS website*

Delete a hidden share
    To delete a hidden share, follow these steps:
    1. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    2. Expand Shared Folders, and then click Shares..
    3. In the Shared Folder column, right-click the share that you want to delete, click Stop sharing, and then click OK.

*END*

Hope this helps!

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried creating another share. Usually I don't like to use the administrative ones like C$. You shouldn't need to delete this in the process. Just create a new one.

4. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

Ive tried to eliminate it as a process and it says that the next time the computer reboots that share will be active again because its a adminitrative share. Cant delete it...

Tried to create a new share. Created it. When i try to go there it simple does not let me - it says that i dont have rights or permissions and should contact the administrator. I am the administrator, dont understand why this happens.

When i try through the command prompt as ip it does not go to c:\, it goes to the folder "my shared documtnts", and as the computer name it asks for some password that does not even exist because i did not create one, not even as administrator...

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just as something else to try, bo you have the same account and password on both computers? Also pretty sure the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access. So if you don't have one that could also be the cause of the problem.

6. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

Ive got it now. I think that somehow, the computer got confused with the "group name". I gave both the machines on my network a new "group name" and now I can share all my folders. Hurra...

Without your advice i would not have done it, thanks a lot...

OOOPs, false alarm.
    I went back to check it out, and still cant open the windows directory, nor the programs directory. This last one is crucial, i want to experiment on some programs within it.
    What could i be? Those are critical folders, but the administrator should be able to open them...

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad the info helped solved the basic sharing problem.

Are you sharing C: and trying to get to the Programs Files and Windows directory or trying to share those directories?

8. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

The c drive is now shared. I can get to all folders except windows and programs. The network wont let me get to those directories. It says I have no permissions or something like that

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Quote from David Pogue's book "Windows XP Home Edition":

"You're not allowed to share important system folders like Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings."

I'm pretty sure the same restriction applies for XP Pro with Simple File Sharing. Don't know about the default w/o SFS.

10. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

Simple file sharing is disabled - i disabled it. But the permission system is a little confusing for someone like me that never has delt with it and is installing the first network.

So is it possible to grant permissions to deal with those system folders like sharing them?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm sure Bob will be able to help with permissions. I've only dealt with SFS.

Terry

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

With Simple File Sharing turned off, I was able to easily access the Program Files directory from two other computers. With it on I was not. Even shared the Program Files directory explicitly and it shared just fine over the network

13. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

No way i can access the "programs" folder from my network. You see, my native language is not english, and my SO is in another language. So, besides the "program files" directory, wich i can access with no problems, i have another one called "programas" in wich windows instals practically all the programs. It is this other one, the "programas" that i can not access. I cannot access the windows directory too.

Tried a go at the permissions - gave all the permissions to everyone to start with but still no progress...

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You may need to restart the computer you are trying to connect from.

15. NetGuru()

NetGuru() Thread Starter

Nothing done. I restarted both...

It must be something else, maybe something very simple... Why can I access everything except for those two folders? It must be somekind of security policy that we are not aware off right now?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice