cant share files?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ironhalo

we have a network set up in our house, all hard wired. my 2 roomates can share files no problem over the network, but i cant. we all get internet just fine tho. i think the cable im using is a crossover cable. can these cables not share files over a router? i can see my computer the network, and all computers are on the same workgroup.

router is an older netgear 8 port, all computers have xp sp2.

anyone have any ideas? is it due to the crossover cable?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Of course, there's really no need to buy a package to do the trick, that's what we're here for.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

ironhalo

the computers can ping eachother just fine, i set up the networks again using the microsoft wizard. we use the windows firewalls, disabled too. no problems there. sharing is enabled, and the computers have stuff being shared. not sure whats up?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the computers can ping each other, the crossover cable isn't the issue. :)

What is the specific model of your Netgear 8 port device? I think you have a switch or hub there, an 8 port SOHO router is pretty rare. What is the ISP, is this perhaps a college campus where you're supplied an Internet connection? It sounds like we're looking in the wrong places.

On each machine, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

ironhalo

sorry for the delay in posting a response.

heres what i got for my computer:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : muaddib

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-CD-D1-3F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.143.139.125

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.143.139.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.143.128.69

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.143.128.69

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 13, 2006 4:06:38 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:06:38 PM

the roomates computer:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MOOGLE

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA
nForce MCP Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
00-0E-A6-48-D0-B4

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday,
January 13, 2006 10:49:09 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday,
January 14, 2006 10:49:09 PM

yea, hub is the proper word. lack of knowledge ya know?

anyway, the model is a ds108 netgear 8 port hub

we're running on cable from alameda power co.

thanks a lot for the help, sorry again for the delay in a response

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Your problem is that you are connecting directly to your ISP and getting multiple public IP addresses. Those addresses are not in the same subnet, so your machines will not be able to use file sharing.

The first machine is here:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.143.139.125
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

The second one is here:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :24.143.155.24
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :255.255.255.0

There are ways to network with this configuration, one way is to use NETBEUI or IPX protocol. However, you will have NO security, and will be exposing your machines to anyone one on either of the subnets, so this is not exactly a desirable option.

I'd install a broadband router and connect the machines to the router, then you'll all have Internet access, and you'll also all be on the same subnet for file/print sharing.

ironhalo

hmmm... no security defanently isnt an option. are you talking about getting a router/modem combo device, something like that? probably dont have the cash for that right now :/ looks like its the external hdd from now on. thanks a lot for the help :)

I had a similar problem with not being able to see shared folders on my wireless laptop from my desktop. The problem turned out to be so simple everyone missed it. In windows explorer goto tools-folder options-view and check the first box "automaticaly search for network folders and printers".
Hope this helps.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
sgt188 said:
I had a similar problem with not being able to see shared folders on my wireless laptop from my desktop. The problem turned out to be so simple everyone missed it. In windows explorer goto tools-folder options-view and check the first box "automaticaly search for network folders and printers".
Hope this helps.
News flash, this is not the "universal solution" to networking issues, and is not even necessary. All it'll normally do is slow you down a little. My networking works fine here, and you'll note that I don't have this checked.

Please stop posting this to every networking thread. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online