1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant share !!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by quacks, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

I cant get file or print sharing to work on my 2 xp pro machines

I have a linksys cable modem and linksys wireless router, no problems with the internet,both work as advertised

Having run the wireless network wizard and home network wizard

The printer host machine does not see any computers on the network and gives me this message "Mshome is not accessable you might not have permission to use this resource"

the other sees both machines but cannot access the other one ,just the shared files on it and I get this message "\\Goose is not accessable you might not have permission to use this resource"

I have turned the routers firewall off and also the M$ firewalls

Help !!!!

Thanks
    quacks

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

I assume that all computers on the network have the same group name---(Mshome I assume?) If not, rename them all to the same name---

3. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

Yes they are :rolleyes:
    Also I am not able to ping the host machine ,but I can ping the other machine from the host

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

Are login names and passwords the same for both machines? Do you have shared folders set up on all the machines.

5. sirbob

sirbob

Turn your router firewall back on. That has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing and you are leaving yourself wide open to attact without the firewall. Have you updated your XP machines to SP2? If so, you'll need to check you LAN connection on each XP machine and turn off the software firewall that SP2 enables and turn on file and print sharing that SP2 turns off by default.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

7. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

OK here we go again
    The machine hosting the printer CANNOT see ITSELF or the other machine-but can successfully ping the other machine.
    Message is

"Mshome is not available you might not have permission to use this resource contact admin of this server to find out if you have access
    permission
    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

The other maching CAN see both itself (and can access the shared files on it)and the host BUT CANNOT ACCESS the host machine and it cannot ping the host.
    Message is

"\\Goose is not accessable you might not have permission to use this resource contact admin of this server to find out if you have access
    permission
    The network path was not found"

Both machines are using the same workgroup Neither has a password as both are running the default admin in the welcome screen

Have tried repeatedly running network wizard all file and print sharing buttons are checked

This problem was evident BEFORE the wireless network was installed

Thanks
    quacks

8. JohnWill

Try setting up the accounts on both machines with a password, and make sure the other machine has a user account that matches the name/password. 2k/XP exhibits a variety of problems when you attempt to network with no passwords.

9. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

(n)
    No good :(
    Guess I am just gonna have to buck up and buy another printer so we both have one :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did I tell you how much I hate XP, never had a problem networking with ME or 98

10. JohnWill

It's a mystery. :confused: I have no issues networking XP, 2K, 98, and Linux, shared printers and all. There's truthfully very little difference. 2K and XP have network authentication, but IMO that's a good thing.

11. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

Johnwill
    A question
    Why cant I ping my own machine?
    I can ping the other machine from both computers but cant ping my machine from either one
    I keep getting the message "request timed out"

I believe this is the root of my problem but I cant seem to find the fix

12. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

One more thing
    I can ping the router and a do a loopback ping sucessfully

13. JohnWill

The normal reason for that is a firewall that's not configured correctly. Did you turn off ALL the firewalls for debugging, as suggested in my previous post?

14. quacks

quacks Thread Starter

Yes I did

Opps after checking some more I found that my AV also had a firewall that I didnt know was there

Things are looking up I can now access all files , from both machines!!! Whoo-hoo. (y)

Thanks John, If you had not kept on me about firewalls I would probably have never found it

You DA-MAN (y)

15. linskyjack

linskyjack

LOL_-its always the little things.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice