1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't shut down computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcfay, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcfay

mcfay Thread Starter

About a week ago I installed adobe reader 8.1. Since then I haven't been able to shut down my computer the right way. When I go to start and click then click on turn off computer the shut down box never comes up. I end up having to push the power button to turn it off. I know this will eventually do harm (if it hasn't already) is there anything I can do besides reformatting. I have all the disk to reformat, but would rather not if I can get this fixed.

My hard drive crashed last year, it was an 80 gig, I replaced it with a 300 gig. Haven't had any problems until last week after I downloaded adobe. I uninstalled it this morning, but it still don't work.

Thanks

2. mcfay

mcfay Thread Starter

Bump!

3. Broni

Broni

Did you try System Restore from more then one week ago?

4. mcfay

mcfay Thread Starter

Yes, I went all the way back to Feb. It says can't restore to that date because no changes have been made since then.

5. techdawg667

techdawg667

Or, more accurately, Restore to before you installed Adobe Reader?

6. Broni

Broni

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Go "Run, msconfig,ok,startup" and uncheck every referenece to Adobe or Adobe Reader, hit apply and then reboot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!