1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't shut down my pc

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by earlybird328, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earlybird328

earlybird328 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have talked to about 20 Techs in the Trii county area and so far i've had no luck fixing this problem.
    I am currently running windows ME upgrade but have also run windows 98 and Xp pro on this same machine and the problem was there with all three. Ok here is the problem: When I click on start then shut down then shut down again as always,
    my pc acts as if it's shutting down and if i don't blink i can actually see the "it's is now safe to shut down your computer" flash on the screen but then my pc starts up again. Ugh its making me crazy, please help!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Has anyone suggested you try resetting the BIOS Power settings to resolve the issue? You enter the BIOS by pressing F1, F10, Esc or Delete key during a restart. Then using the arrow keys below the Delete key and Enter key to navigate around in the BIOS to enter the Power section; modify settings, then exit saving changes.

In the BIOS you can press the appropriate 'F' key, as designated by the menu at the BIOS main screen bottom, to load the Defaults (recommended).

3. scmazter

scmazter

Hmmm, yes it might be the BIOS, tell me how old is your computer? Unfortunately old computers can't have their bios updated.
    Are the 3 OSes installed on the same partition? If so they might have some kind of conflict with each other.
    And for how long have u had this problem for? Did it happened after u did something to your system?

4. Lori 1

Lori 1

I don't know if this is part of your problem, but I was having problems shutting down my computer, and microsoft told me , that sometimes programs in your task bar will keep your computer from shutting down right. So they told me to go to:
    Start, Run type msconfig, and go to startup tab, and uncheck , different programs on start up, and see which one is the culprit. Mine problems, was msn messanger, get rid of anything that you feel like you dont have to have on start up and restart your computer,This may not be your problem, but it's worth a shot, if nothing else works.

5. dai

dai

enable apm in the power management section of the bios

6. brindle

brindle

Have you tried disabling fast shutdown in msconfig\advanced? Worked for my neighbor running 98se.

7. earlybird328

Ty all for your replies,
    Unfortunatly i have already done every one of the things you all have suggested. Yes there was a change to my system , I had a new motherboard and processor put in and thats when this happened. I have since had the processor changed again and same problem.I know that the problem has to do with the new board but what ? Also In the bios there are only Enable or Disable options and i have done both for every power setting.
    I have had a few tech besides myself look phicically look at the board itself and we find nothing wrong, missing etc.
    Anyone out there with a solution to this problem will become a saint in my book.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

From your explanation then -there is nothing wrong with your hardware so, the answer is that your Operating System is corrupted and to backup all your sensitive data:

(Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

Then format your Hard Drive; Restart your computer; Then reinstall your Operating System and backups. Ensure you have all your system's drivers for Audio, Video, Modem, Ethernet cards, etc. before starting the format.

Please see the following printable attachment for complete information on Starting From Scratch.

Unplug all devices from your computer before the installation of Windows except mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Attached Files:

9. dai

dai

what is your bios

10. brindle

brindle

Here is a fix I found out there somewhere, if this is true a virus scan using housecall might be the easist solution

I've ecountered the same problem on two different occasions. The first time I ran into this, I fixed it by booting to the WinME emergency diskette and running FDISK /MBR at the DOS prompt. Problem went away. It reappeared a couple of months later while experimenting with a program called X-Setup. I had selected a setting whereby my DHCP info would be reset when shutting down. This is not a default setting. By unselecting this setting, the problem went away. Good luck!

11. earlybird328

To mr. styxx, as i stated previously, i have had this same problem with three diferent operating systems. But ty anyway.

12. earlybird328

to: DIA.
    My bios is phoenix awardbios

13. earlybird328

to: Brindle.
    I have run fdisk several times with all three operating systems and to no avail. I have also reset my bios to default several times.
    Again ty.

14. earlybird328

oh btw dai, ido not have the apm option in my bios.

15. earlybird328

I have a 1900 processor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice