Can't Shutdown or Logoff from User Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HlpyHlperton

undefined

Okay heres the deal (I hope this is easy for all u smart guys) When I'm logged on to my User account, I can't logoff or powerdown from the start menu. The only way for me to power down (forget about loggin off) is to select the switch user prompt. I am then directed to the Login Menu that comes up after my comp starts up. I want to be able to Logout, and or Shutdown from my desktop no matter what user I happen to be. Any help you may have I would be much obliged for. Thank you.

I RUN ON [B]WINDOWS XP[/B]

:confused: HlpyHlprton :confused:

By not being able to do you mean it does not allow you to click it? Or are you getting errors?

Yes, what exactly happens when you click on shutdown or logoff?

And does it work if you go to Start - Run and type in either shutdown or logoff?

HlpyHlperton

I can click it, but when i actually select the option; either shutdown, or logoff, the computer basically "ignores" me. As if I did nothing at all. The absolute only way to logoff, and or shutdown is to switch users. There is no error message, it simply just doesn't respond.

HlpyHlperton

I tried both the commands, logoff and shutdown in RUN, but neither worked. Same response as selecting the start options.

If you go to C:\WINDOWS\system32, are the programs shutdown.exe and logoff.exe there?

Try to use shutdow command with /C option which will force shutdown
eg. shutdown -S /C

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online