1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't shutdown or reboot XP Pro ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wogster, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

From my START button, if I press either SHUTDOWN or REBOOT, nothing happens. All other programs and utilities are working just fine. I can only reboot from the manual button on the front of the CPU. I have already tried to do a restore on the drive, but it won't go back far enough.

Is there anything that I could check in the registry perhaps? or in the system files. *Something odd, when my computer boots up... (and this never was before), it says: CPU 1 and CPU 2 then a bunch of numbers....but it goes so fast, I can't read what it says after that.

Statistics:

Windows XP Pro (build 2600)
    2.80 GHz Intel P4 Bus clock: 200 MHz
    1024 gigs DDR Memory
    80 gig HDD
    MB: Asus P4S800 BIOS: Revision 1006 12/31/2003

Can someone offer some help? Wogster.

2. sonicblue

sonicblue

Before any serious suggestion try using control alt delete and looking at task manager to see what is running in the background and try manually shuting them down one at a time and see if your shutdown works

3. sonicblue

sonicblue

4. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

I just shutdown everything from ctrl-alt-delete, and tried to reboot, still nothing....
    I've been trying to solve this problem for about six months now and I'm beginning to loose hopw that anyone out there knows what is troubling my computer. I may be forced to have my hard-drive reformatted by the shop that built it, and have them re:install WinXP Pro. That's the crappers because many of my programs, and tons of data will be lost for good. This is why i was hoping someone out there could help, before going to this extreme. -Wogster-

5. sonicblue

sonicblue

If you have your WinXP CD try booting with it and use the repair function and see if it make any difference. It will replace damaged or missing files

6. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Unfortunately when the computer was built, I did not get the Win XP Pro cd with the purchase. Should it have been added to the price of new CPU, it would have tacked on...what's the going price of XP Pro $400.00 Canadian? The builder said if anything ever goes wrong, he would format and re:install it at no extra cost. So that leaves me hanging with what seems to be a dead-end street...

I guess that's what happens to guys like me that wanna cut costs.... ooops!!!

Thanks for your help anyway... I wonder if there's anything that could be alter'd in the registry? I'm willing to try anything before resortting to a format.

Wogster.

7. sonicblue

sonicblue

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!