Can't sign in with a Microsoft account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A1exMills

Hello, I'm running windows 10 on an older office computer. I recently had some issues with missing OS files when a graphics card went (Took half the OS with it). So I have erased my Pc, and re-downloaded windows with a new graphics card.

All has been fine for a few months till now. I restarted my Pc to get this message"Sign in so you don't miss out" "You need to sign in to your Microsoft account so you can send your parent requests when you want more screen time or need permission for certain apps and sites" (My account is in a family with my Dad's, it was originally labeled as a 'kids' account when we created it for an Xbox 1. There are no restrictive settings on it. It is the only account on this Pc and is an Admin account).

No big deal I thought, so I hit sign in. Then I got this lovely error message: "Can't sign in with a Microsoft account" "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information. contact your system administrator" "0x800704ec". I went through all group policy settings and they are all set to "Not Configured"

I would ignore all this, but the "Sign in so you don't miss out" window is persistent and when closed or minimized opens again in a few seconds or when your open/run a new program. This is VERY annoying when gaming... If you need computer specs to help I can send them, I haven't included them because this seems to be an error with Windows, not hardware. This computer used to be an office Pc for an oil company. I'm guessing somehow some settings survived a change to new hardware, a complete data wipe (deleted windows and all Pc data), and a new install of windows. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you do a full clean install? It sounds like you didn't if it came from a company. Group Policy is usually enabled/deployed by companies.

You would need to redo to the Windows OS installation again. Look at the sticky thread in this forum (link here) to complete a clean install.

A1exMills

When I first got the computer it had Windows 7 on it. It had been wiped by an IT guy from the company. I got Windows 10 on it. Stupid question but can settings like that be anywhere other than the hard drive? The hard drive has had three clean installs, with Windows 10 installed twice. I doubt the settings survived that. It's probably an issue I caused recently... I've never used group policy settings before though. Sorry bout' all the new info. I had forgotten about most of this.

A1exMills

Here are the exact messages. In case I missed something typing them out. I'm only worried about the sign in being blocked. I'll remove family features if the settings can't be fixed. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The error points to the Microsoft Store from what i can see. It may be due to that and you would want to talk to Microsoft about this

When you said you did a clean install, did you blow out the partition? (remove partition and recreated it, then formatted)

A1exMills

Yes, partition was removed and the hard drive was reformatted. I'll look into getting Microsoft to help, thanks

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then I am guessing it's your microsoft account and you should contact Microsoft to see if this is the case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts