1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't sign into encrypted sites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by perry_, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

I'm not able to sign into encrypted sites like yahoo, hotmail or even MSN Messenger. What should I do? Seems to be some kind of virus?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

you should be getting an error code, if so look it up at microsoft if any probs post back the codes

3. BillC

BillC

Do you have a firewall installed that blocks cookies and especially Private Headers like Zone Alarm Pro ?

4. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

On messenger I get error code 80048820. I can log into it within about 15 minutes of booting my computer the FIRST time but if I restart it won't work until the next day. Same with other encrypted sites, after about 15 minutes I can't load encrypted pages, I get the "Server is taking to long to respond" page on Firefox.

5. BillC

BillC

Ah. That tells me a bit more. This is often caused due to Incorrect Time/Date Settings in Windows. So the first thing you should do is make sure that you system has got the correct clock settings. To change the system time setting, just double-click on the time display on your Taskbar (usually in the lower right corner of your screen).

6. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

I've already tried that :( it had been working for the last 4 months (since I last reformatted my hard drive) and all of a sudden it stopped working. System restore doesn't even correct the problem.

7. BillC

BillC

Have a look here to see if a solution can be found.

8. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

None of those seem to work :confused:

9. BillC

BillC

Just for fun, try a different browser. If you're not using Firefox, give it a go. If it works, then we'll know it was your browser...IE?

10. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

I've tried it on both FF and IE, think I should just reformat? Sounds kinda like a virus to me even though AVG nor Norton found one.

11. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

This issue can be caused for several reasons. Mainly, it pertains with IE cookie and network settings or possible spyware that is intercepting traffic.

You should try to completely reset all of Internet Explorer's settings.
    - If you have IE6 click here.
    - If you have IE7 click here.

Then, run the usual set of Anti-Spyware programs:

Download them, install them, update them. Scan your computer and remove what they suggest. Reboot your computer and try again. :)

12. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

You have both? ... you only need one. I suggest uninstalling Norton, and running the SYMNRT utility to remove the remaining files.

I suggest also changing your HOSTS file with the one explained here.

13. perry_

perry_ Thread Starter

Ad-aware or spy bot seems to have fixed it, thanks man.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice