1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't someone please tell me what's wrong with my IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yeahoksure, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeahoksure

yeahoksure Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my IP Address is Class A - 10.0.0.25, but my Subnet Mask is Class C - 255.255.255.0 ? I tried to release this IP Address through Command Line but when I renew I get the exact same one. I've had the same service provider for 5 years now and haven't noticed until now, I have DSL through Verizon. I have a Modem and Router but both are set for Dynamic IP Addressing and they both look to have 192 IP Addresses, so I have no idea where my computer is getting that number. Could this also have something to do with the reason why my computer seems slow at times ? I should have speeds near 700 KB/Sec but I barely reach 100, that's not only what I'm paying for but when I do speed tests online they give me roughly the same number. I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 so I know it's not the hardware.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Exactly where are you seeing the "my IP Address is Class A - 10.0.0.25, but my Subnet Mask is Class C - 255.255.255.0" information? The whole 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255 address range is reserved for private LAN IP addressing but it does not mean that a given router supports that entire range.

Please provide details (Full IP addresses, Subnet masks, DHCP server settings, etc.) of the LAN (local network) and WAN (Internet) side configurations of the router.

Is your computer using DHCP to get its IP address? If so, the DHCP server on the router may be reserving the lease of that address to your given computer (based on its MAC address) until such time as the lease time expires or the router is reset or power cycled.

3. crashoverider

crashoverider

Hi ,

Please provide the detailed information like how many computers you have ?
    Whats the ip address on that computer ?
    Whats the operating system on the computer where your facing problem ?
    Please send a screen shot of Command prompt with all Ip configurations

Ie Start ->Run ->Cmd ->Ipconfig /All -->Enter

Please send a screen shot ...

Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're connecting by wireless are you using your network or a neighbor's? :)

What is the brand and model of your modem and of your router?

5. yeahoksure

yeahoksure Thread Starter

Thank you for replying and I'm sorry for the delay in my answers.

IPCONFIG

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7dcb:257d:4895:4d6b11
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.25
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:ca:27b7:f5ff:ffe6
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ca:27b7:f5ff:ffe612
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{77FE9E5C-6F88-4B26-84B7-97AB7036FC37}:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

I have my own internet, that's where I'm connecting with a Westell Modem Model #6100 and a Netgear Wireless N Router. On this connection there's 3 Laptops and 1 Desktop, the IP on all the other computers are all the same and 3 are using Windows 7 while the other has Vista.

I hope this helps a little, someone on another site was saying it could be VLSM but I'm not even sure.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    crashoverider had requested the results of the IPCONFIG /ALL command and you only seem to have posted the shorter IPCONFIG results.

I had also requested details about your set-up
    There is something definitely wrong if all computers are using the exact same 10.0.0.25 IP address at the same time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice