1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant start DPS, uninst adapters, auto update fail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carpot, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

:eek: Multiple Issues Discovered while Troubleshooting laptop

I have multiple issues with a laptop and suspect that they may all be somehow related, or were either caused by a rootkit, or simply by corrupted windows files. I thought I should present all issues together as they may give clues to a root cause.

Harware: Lennovo Notebook Model G570

Unresolved symptoms:
    1. Unable to start service: Diagnostic Policy Service (Error 5)
    2. Windows unable to load drivers for ten Network Adapters (code 31)
    3. Windows updates fail

Resolved symptoms:
    1. Fixed three network adapters, and am able to detect wifi networks and connect to internet again
    2. Restored windows firewall and related services

Investigation:

My wife asked me to fix her laptop when she lost the ability to connect to internet. I began investigating and found that the laptop was not able to discover any wireless networks.

Unable to start Diagnostic Policy Service (error 5)
    I first tried to use the windows troubleshooting feature, but was unable to proceed. This is because the Diagnostic Policy Service cannot be started. I checked it in services.msc; It was set to automatic, but not started. When I attempt to start it manually, I receive the following error:

Windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy Service on Local Computer.
    Error 5: Access is denied.

I searched for information on how to resolve this, and found some fixes that have worked for other users, but unfortunately not for me. For example, I checked some registry keys with regedit.exe, though did not identify anything that appeared in need of change. HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/DPS
    HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/
    Permissions of the above two keys showed that Administrators account has full control, and the account I log into is an Administrator account, and I always run regedit.exe, services.msc, and command prompts in Administrator mode.

Unable to start Windows Firewall Services
    While investigating registry and service issues, I also discovered that the Windows Firewall services could not be started. I ran the MS windows FixIt application to no avail.
    I was able to do that by verifying registry keys and using some command prompts, including
    Net localgroup administrators /add network service
    Net localgroup administrators /add localservice

Windows unable to load drivers for ten Network Adapters (code 31)
    I opened device manager and discovered that every single device listed under network adapters indicated an error (as evidenced by the triangular yellow exclamation point symbol).
    I checked the properties of each device and found the same status:
    Device Status: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).

I intended to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for each. On first attempt, I was able to uninstall only 2 of 13 network adapters; Those the only two which are actual hardware devices (NIC card and Bluetooth card) or at least for which I had non-windows drivers.

For the two hardware network devices, I was able to install the latest drivers and they seem to be working properly (as indicated by their Device Status within properties window). From this point in time, the laptop was able to discover wifi networks and connect to the internet again.

I suspect that the remaining eleven network adapters, that they are either virtual devices or devices which normally rely upon windows drivers. Regarding these generic (or virtual) network adapters, I was able to disable them. After I disabled all eleven and then re-enabled them, one of them (Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter) seemed to have reloaded the windows driver correctly, as its status shows that it is now working properly.

Windows Updates Fail:
    Something interesting I noted when comparing the registry of this problem laptop with a problem free laptop (which is running fine and has same OS installed) is that there are some differences in existing accounts.
    On the problem laptop, there is a CREATOR OWNER account, which does not always have full control. And on the problem free laptop, there is the TrustedInstaller account, which has more control than even the admisitrator accounts in most cases. I read that Trusted Installer account has something to do with automated Windows updates being installed properly, so suspect that perhaps I need to create the trusted Installer account for some of the registry keys and make the TrustedInstaller account the owner” of some keys (?) – if so, then I do not know which registry keys TrustedInstaller needs to own.

I have tried to install the updates just after a fresh boot with all services except for Windows services turned off.
    I suspect that the auto installation fail issue may be related to .NET framework. I used to use this laptop for business purposes and an IT guru was performing some tweaks (including installing the attest version of NET framework and some related configurations) in order to allow my laptop to run company custom software applications. I am no longer with that company, and have no contact with that particular IT person. I read one solution where the .NET Framework had to be uninstalled, then still, a windows repair disc (and I no longer have my disc) had to be used to resolve the windows update auto install fail issue. I am unsure as to whether I may uninstall .Net Framework without possibly causing more problems.

Other notes
    I should add that along the way, I have also done
    full scans using Avast
    full scan using Malaware bytes (fixed three minor issues)
    performed scannow via command prompt and found no issues.
    I performed disccheck and did recover a few bad sectors of the HD.
    Ran Farbar, no issues found.
    Ran combofix after which the laptop was unable to function beyond logging into user account and had to restore.
    Discovered that my antivirus (Avast) had been turned off – all shields were stopped and I am unable to start them again (unable to start the shield; Shield unreachable).

I have not yet ruled out Root Kits, as I have very little experience and proficiency with soft tools to handle them. I do suspect that the cause for all of these problems are corrupted windows files caused by sudden loss of power.
    My wife often runs the laptop on adapter with no battery (so as to conserve battery life), and will sometimes not wait for the computer to shut down completely before moving it from one location to another. I suspect this has happened routinely. I had a chat with her today to emphasize the importance of allowing the computer to shut down completely, and she now understands, especially since I spent most of my free time over the past several days trying to fix these issues.

I should also note that I have only one restore point, which I made after I was just recently able to restore internet connectivity and windows firewall (not before all of these other issues appeared).

My apologies that I am not able to provide finer details of my troubleshooting efforts. I wish that I had kept. I used to keep more detailed troubleshooting logs while working on these kinds of issues all the time. But with both available information being shared on the internet, and my technical experience continuing to grow, I had become able to resolve most any of these kinds of problems quite proficiently, and somehow lost the good habit of keeping logs. I will regain that good habit.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4039 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1795 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 96107 MB, Free - 37249 MB; D: Total - 200004 MB, Free - 93454 MB; E: Total - 180825 MB, Free - 98129 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Disabled

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

carpot:
    Hello & welcome to Tech Support Guy.

Please provide:
    CPU with speed
    ram #gb & speed
    hard disk drive capacity; C: capacity; C: free; C: used;
    Ethernet brand, model & model #.
    Wi fi brand model & model #.

If available, please provide a product info page from Lenovo.

Router brand, model # model #.
    Are other computers able to connect to the wi fi router?

Nicely detailed report. Thanks for the use of paragraphs. Seriously. It is difficult for me to read posts that are a single paragraph.

Did you make any changes in the registry? If so, please provide a detailed account.

Since you are unable to access any system restore points, I have 2 suggestions:
    1. RIGHT click "command prompt"
    Left click "run as administrator
    type: cd\
    enter
    type: chkdsk /r
    enter
    type: exit
    enter
    At some point W7 will notify you that it needs exclusive access to the hard drive; will ask if you want to run chkdsk /r at the next re-start.
    Accept the offer.

Please create a screen shot of device manage with all hidden devices shown. Return here. Use "go advanced"; use "manage attachments". Attach the file [ I suggest a .jpg ].

For the network adapters, set device manager to show hidden devices. Then, delete each entry under network adapter. THEN re- boot.
    edit #1: if there are entries under network adapter that are not marked, as you described, for the moment, do not uninstall it.

2. turn off system restore. 1 or more of the restore points are likely corrupt. They may be corrupt because of a W7 file issue; thus chkdsk /r.

Your choice. Were it my computer, I would disable system restore, reboot; run chkdsk /r. BUT, it is not my computer.

Be sure to back up all of your important data, just in case . . . .:)

Regarding failed updates:
    Does the computer have ethernet & wi fi?
    If so, which do you currently use to connect to the internet?

Have you run any diags?

Have you tried any troubleshooting maneuvers not listed previously?

Please claify the seemingly incongrous statements:
    When was the last / most recent W7 update to be installed? Which W7 update?
    When did the 1st update, since the problems started, fail?
    Which W7 update?

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

RF123

3. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

Hello RainForest,
    CPU with speed: Intel Core i3-2330 CPU @2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz
    ram #gb & speed: 4 GB (need to verify speed)

hard disk drive capacity; C: capacity; C: free; C: used;
    This laptop has I HD, 3 partitions:
    C; 93.8 GB total; 37.9 GB free; 55.9 used
    D; 195 GB total; 91.2 GB free; 103.8 used
    E; 176 GB total; 95.8 GB free; 80.2 used

Ethernet brand, model & model #:
    Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Wi fi brand model & model #:
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

If available, please provide a product info page from Lenovo.
    I found datasheet at Lenovo website, but the specs listed do not match with the specs of this laptop. This laptop is a non-modified Lenovo G570, though I bought it in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in January of 2012 – most often the products one finds there is two year older than those in modern markets.

Router brand, model #: Belkin Wireless G Router – model F25D7230-4
    Two other laptops and an iPad are (and always were) able to connect to the wi fi router.

Did you make any changes in the registry? If so, please provide a detailed account.
    No. I did attempt a couple of registry changes, but reverted these via restore after finding they did not resolve the issue.
    What I had done was to make two new accounts for the permissions of the /service/DPS/policy/ key, which were mpssvc and TrustedInstaller, and gave them full access. I did verify that those accounts no longer exist (after restoring).

Since you are unable to access any system restore points, I have 2 suggestions:
    Just to clarify, I had zero restore points at the time I began troubleshooting, though had created two manually since then. There had been several created automatically while I was experimenting more, and unfortunately purged my oldest manual restore point.
    I did perform check disc before, but will do so again, via command prompt as you suggest.

Please create a screen shot of device manage with all hidden devices shown.
    Image attached.

For the network adapters, set device manager to show hidden devices. Then, delete each entry under network adapter. THEN re- boot.
    When you wrote “Delete”, did you mean uninstall? I am unable to uninstall, the Device Manager window simply refreshes, but the entrees do not uninstall. I am able to disable them.

Regarding failed updates:
    Does the computer have ethernet & wi fi?
    Yes, always connected by wifi. I should note that during the time that it was unable to connect via wifi, it was also unable to connect via Ethernet (while other laptops were able to connect either way).

Have you run any diags?
    I just tried one and it resulted in BSOD.

Have you tried any troubleshooting maneuvers not listed previously?
    Yes, though I did not keep a detailed log. I will do so from now on. What I can recall is listed in the top post.

Please claify the seemingly incongrous statements:
    Quote:

1. Fixed three network adapters, and am able to detect wifi networks and connect to internet again
    There are a total of thirteen items listed in Network Adapters (when not displaying the hidden items), and all thirteen used to have the same error (code 31). I was able to fix two of thirteen by manually installing latest drivers. And one fixed itself after I disabled the remaining eleven, then re-enabled it.

When was the last / most recent W7 update to be installed? Which W7 update?

Well surprisingly one did succeed in getting installed today, it was KB915597 (a 1 GB definition update for windows defender – NOTE a non-.NET Framework update). But other than that, the most resent successful update was KB2786400 on Jan 18, 2013.
    A total of 19 updates installed simultaneously (image attached) – this was just after I was able to fix the wifi problem and regain access to the internet.

When did the 1st update, since the problems started, fail?
    Which W7 update?

The three failed updates are all related to .NET Framework 4:
    KB2742595
    KB2737019
    KB2736428

I attempted to install each of the three updates one at a time and each time it failed with error code 643. The first time they failed was I believe on the very next restart after successfully installed 19 updates – if memory serves me correctly, there was an attempt at installed 21 updates simultaneously, and two of those failed (19 succeeded) and remain failed.

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

IMO, I am an above average intermediate computer user, (who recently lost, but will regain, the good habit of detailed log keeping)

Attached Files:

4. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

I have attached the result of a DXDIAG, the first time I suspect it crashed due to running Directx3D while I had too many apps open.

Attached Files:

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

I don't see any failed items in the Update screen shot.
    edit: Please provide a screen shot with the failed / unsuccessful updates.

You can obtain more specific information about the update [ failed or successful ] by double left clicking said update.
    OR single left click; then left click "view details"
    To copy the details: single left click the update; then single left click "copy details"
    That information may be helpful.
    end edit

Personally, I would:
    1. Create a system restore point

2. In Dev Mgr, uninstall everything depicted in "network adapters"; yes even the items with no bangs [ yellow triangle with "!" ]
    THEN, reboot; enter the bios & disable the wi fi

& let your system discover the ethernet

THEN, reboot
    THEN test.

Once things are going well,
    reboot; re-enter the bios; re-enable the wi fi.

Thanks for the DxDiag. I'll let someone with more DxDiag expertise comment on it.

Which of these is yours?
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?

OR

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?

OR something else?

RF123

6. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

The images you requested are attached. All three failed updates have the same error message and code. Here are copied details – I used color coding to differentiate between the links associated with each update. I followed those links, have not researched each in detail thus far, though it appears to just have info about the updates themselves:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2736428) (KB2742595) (KB2737019)

Installation date: ‎1/‎22/‎2013 12:54 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to cause the affected application to stop responding. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=262695 à http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2736428
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=261905 à http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2742595
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=262860 à http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2737019

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

“… In Dev Mgr, uninstall everything depicted in "network adapters"; yes even the items with no bangs [ yellow triangle with "!" ]
    THEN, reboot; enter the bios & disable the wi fi
    & let your system discover the ethernet
    THEN, reboot
    THEN test
    Once things are going well,
    reboot; re-enter the bios; re-enable the wi fi…”

Sounds like a good plan, except that I cannot uninstall the network adapters. When I uninstall them, the device manager refreshes, but the devices are still there.

Neither of those links led to my laptop configuration, I will search around for it more. I did check the Lenovo Vietnam website but it seems they just yanked the specs after they discontinued selling it in their market.

Attached Files:

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

C:
    This thread involves error code 643 & KB2373019. I found it using the search string: or code 643 & KB2373019

Best of success.

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

9. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Method 2 worked for me:

Method 2:
    Follow the steps in the link:
    “Error codes “0x80070643” or “0x643” occur when you install the .NET Framework updates”
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982?wa=wsignin1.0

I chose method two after reading the descriptions of all, because it dealt specifically with .NET Framework, which all three of my failed updates were related to.

Updates now succeeded and I just created a restore point. I'm going to check on the status of the other two symptoms now and report back...

10. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

One symptom down, two more to go:

1. Unable to start service: Diagnostic Policy Service (Error 5)

Regarding 1, I will go back to where I found the fix and try to find out what may have worked and what may have went wrong. May be able to find some clues.

Regarding 2, I'll go into BIOS to disable both ethernet and wifi, then see if I can uninstall the network adapters via device manager.

I won't make any changes without creating a restore point first.

11. Carpot

Carpot Thread Starter

Regarding 2, unable to uninstall network adapters,

in my BIOS, I was able to disable the wifi, but unfortunately, there is no option for enabling / disabling the ethernet card.

I was able to uninstall the ethernet card and the ISATAP network adapter, all others, I could not uninstall, even after disabling all first.

Attached Files:

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

C:
    Congratulations on the progress.

Please provide a screen shot, if applicable, regarding the computer's refusal to allow the uninstallations.

Try in safe mode.

Enable the Administrator account. In nl mode, try to uninstall the adapters.

edit
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
    end edit

To which level is UAC set?

Which computer security software is installed?

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g470_g475_g570_g575_ug_v2.0_english.pdf
    isn't much help to me. Re the bios, it notes F2 to enter the bios & on page 23, HELP on the right.

Is there no entry in the bios re network / ethernet?

RF123

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice