1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't start in Safe Mode...get blue screen...now laptop won't stop restarting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kody1234, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

Ok...so JohnWII has been helping me with a networking problem in the networking forum and he suggested I start in SAFE MODE to do a step for what we were fixing. I tried using F8 on startup but when I clicked on SAFE MODE it would start and then give me a blue screen saying I encountered an error or something to that affect and then would restart and bring me back to the same screen asking what to start up in...so I started normally and googled "cannot start Windows XP in Safe Mode" It brought me to bleepingcomputer and there it said you could try and start it up manually by going to msconfig and checking off SafeBoot and then restarting when it prompted you to. I did that and it did the same thing as before with the blue screen and restarting again...except now I can't go back to starting normally because I have safeboot still checked.....so it just continues to reboot over and over...I have it shut off right now(prob not the best thing to do but I just held down the power button)...please tell me there is a way to get my computer back on! I have a Gateway Notebook running WINDOWS XP.

2. scotsail

scotsail

I am having a similar issue. The computer was stuck (after an overnight update?) and i had to hard boot it. Now it seems like the boot sectors are corrupt. Went through the BIOS settings and even tried the hard drive check from there, where it failed test #2. I've hooked that hard drive up to another computer to check it out and all files are still accessible. What I want to do now is try and load XP onto another spare drive to be able to boot the other computer.

Any idea how to load (not mirror) XP onto an external drive from a Vista machine which will then be used as the C drive on the other laptop?

3. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

please help if someone is here!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice