1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't start in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by foxitv, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxitv

foxitv Thread Starter

I have windows 98SE. I have tried multiple time to start my computer in safe mode so that I can run a scan disk. I go to shutdown/restart and when it is restarting I am pressing the ctrl key and it still starts in normal mode. Any ideas? Thanks

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

If the ctrl key doesn't work, when you start to boot up try tapping the F8 key instead of the ctrl key.

3. foxitv

foxitv Thread Starter

nitehawk thanks but I have tried that too??? Any other ideas

4. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

How long has his been happening ?

If its only the last couple of days you could perhaps try to restore an earlier registry to get it bck to a time when it was functional :

Go Start > Run > type Scanreg /Restore (note the space after Scanreg.) You should be presented with the last 5 registries to boot successfully. Choose one from before this problem occured (but as I understand it - not the first on the list.)

If no luck please post back here.

5. grampy

grampy

Try this,put a blank floppy in A:,boot up,when screen says "non system disc or disc error" remove the floppy and press F8 twice,should produce the safe mode menu.

6. brindle

brindle

have you tried enabling the boot menu in msconfig\advanced?

7. mobo

mobo

Boot up with the bootdisk and from the a prompt type c: and press enter. Then from the c prompt type scandisk c:

8. foxitv

foxitv Thread Starter

I am lost. I tried booting with empty floppy in and it still loaded as if there were nothing in the floppy drive. I don't know what has happened for this to change. Any other ideas??

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

To get to safe mode or the boot menu follow Brindle's suggestion: run msconfig and click on the Advanced tab. Put a check in "enable startup menu".

You will have to uncheck this when done.

The reason the boot floppy didn't work is probably because the a: drive is not configured to be the first boot device in the BIOS setup options.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice