1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't start laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by psychonurse, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psychonurse

psychonurse Thread Starter

My daught couldnt start her laptop this morning due to this message

system32\drivers\isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt

after various attempts to fix it she decided to reset it using F10, now however this recovery process isnt working, it just stays on the one file for over 2 hrs. She cannot reboot into safe mode with F8, it doesnt do anything. when trying to boot normally she gets the message NTLDR is missing. She doesnt have the original (or any other) set up CD rom. Any aadvice would be most welcome, thank you.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Is this XP Home or Pro? Also, watch carefully the Post screen (if you can see it) and does it say anything about the Recovery Console? If XP, see if you can borrow an XP CD and boot to it. Run the Recovery Console. Once in, exit it without doing anything. Then see if it can boot. Believe it or not, I have done this a few times and for whatever reason it works. What brand laptop and model.

3. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
  4. psychonurse

its xp home.

on the recovery in progress screen it shows the animated files being transferred to the hard drive and that stays at 0% for over 2 hrs. Also an error message keeps coming up, "Problen in extracting process: WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\AXEL.DAV couldn't be opened" and yes they have spelt problem wrong lol. i dont know any1 with an XP CD :(
    Make is Advent, not sure of the specs

Everway9 - i've tried both those fixes and when booting her laptop up i get the message "Not bootable CD in ATAPI CD ROM

5. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    In which way have you burnt the Fixntldr files to a CD?

6. psychonurse

as the link directed, with the ISO recorder. i've been through the "try this" options including using F8

ive bought a windows xp disc for her from ebay so hopefully that will solve the problem

7. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Something has gone wrong whilst burning the extracted ISO from the fixntldriso.zip file as it does boot the PC if burnt correctly.

So you burnt the iso file (not the zip file) to cd yeah?

If you still can't get it working then wait for your XP cd and try to run a repair on the OS or use the recovery console and do a chkdsk /r

8. psychonurse

yeah i extracted all files then burnt it to cd

9. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    How many files did you burn to cd?

10. psychonurse

there's 8 files on the cd

BOOT
    BOOTIMG.BIN
    NTLDR
    WINNT
    BOOTCAT.BIN
    NTDETECT
    README
    WINXP

THERE'S THIS MESSAGE IN THE README FILE
    If the bootdisk didn't work for all 10 choices, you will likely need to try one of the other files as boot.ini because your windows installation is not installed to %systemdrive%\windows
    Rename boot.ini to windows.ini
    Rename winnt.ini to boot.ini and try all 10 choices
    Still no luck? Rename boot.ini to winnt.ini

but there's no .ini files

11. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    The BOOT and WINNT files are the .ini files, it just doesn't show the .ini extension for some reason.

P.S. Have you rec'd your XP cd yet?

12. psychonurse

oh right. i'll try that then

no it hasnt come yet, although it should come today as its supposed to be delivered within 24hrs

13. psychonurse

hmm it doesnt give me the option to rename

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice