1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't start Win 98 SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shelljor, Feb 17, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelljor

shelljor Guest Thread Starter

Can't start Win 98 SE

I was given the task of trying to fix a computer that is used by a child to play games, etc.

During startup I can see the following info amongst everything:
    Windows 98 SE
    166 MHZ
    98304 K OK

The problem is that when it starts,in normal mode an error message comes up saying:
    (MPREXE caused an invalid page default in module MPRSERV.DLL at 0167:7fae 190f
    Registers:
    Bla bla bla
    Bla bla bla

Stack dump:
    Bla bla bla
    Bla bla bla

After closing the error message the computer wont continue the startup. If I click Ctrl<Alt<Del, there are no started programs, not even explorer.

When I try to start it in safe mode, a black screen comes up saying:
    (Windows was unable to process the registry. this might be fixed by rebooting in comand prompt and run "SCANREG/FIX". Otherwise there may not be enough conventional memory)

It starts in Comand Prompt, but I haven't been able to run "SCANREG/FIX", it tells me it is a wrong command.

I've tryed

C:\>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>CD WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>CD:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>C:\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX

C:\>WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>CD WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>CD:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    C:\>COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    Also with a space between scanreg and the /, like this (scanreg /fix).
    AND OTHER COMBINATIONS but none of them worked.
    I had the windows 98 CD in the CD drive.

I also tryed several letters, only guessing the drive letter for the CD, such as:
    D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    E:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANREG/FIX
    ETC
    ETC

ALWAYS INVALID DRIVES or wrong command

There are also 4 floppies labled:
    PC scan disk
    Pattern file disk 1
    Pattern file disk 2
    Emergency disk 1

I run PC scan disk and the following ones as asked, but didn't make any diference.

Anyone with sugestions ?

Be gentle, I'm not an expert...!!!!

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Howdy,

Have you tried this: C:\scanreg /fix (note the space between the 'g' and the '/') ?

Also, "scanreg /restore" might help you.

spaceman

3. shelljor

No, I keep getting bad commands.

Is there a way of reintalling Win 98 from the CD through command prompt.
    It doesn't matter if the HD is wiped out in the process, in fact I'd rather do that and reintall the software.

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

I forgot to tell you to get a boot disk first, so edited. With 98-2 I think you can create one before formatting...someone help me here.....or go to www.bootdisk.com.

Click on the link:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=726981#post726981

If I was really good, I'd know how these guys do the "click here " thing.

Maybe if I would read more.....

Normally it's not that hard to format and reinstall....I've just had bad luck, but finally get it done.

Randall

5. shelljor

I downloaded 2 bootdisks from bootdisk.com.
    Win 98 SE
    Win 98 SC

I inserted each one and restarted the computer but I got the usual message: Non system disk or disk error

It never gave me the option of choosing CDrom support.

6. Rache

Rache Banned

Could be the hd is capoot. I had a hd which couldn't be written to. It said it wasn't formatted in DOS (fat32), although it had been. There was no chance to recover data so I had to reformat. You may have to go the long way round to format - hook up as slave.

7. shelljor

If I have to reformat the hard drive (to be honest, I don't mind if I do), how can I do it ? It looks like DOS (Command prompt), is not responding to commands. Probably the easiyest way is to reinstall everything from scratch.
    Also the following got my attention:

The last part of the error message refers to the conventional memory.
    I read in the microsoft knowledge base, about a similar error when trying to run "scanreg.exe" with /Fix or /Restore.

Linked to this information is also info on how to increase conventional memory for MS-DOS based programs.

Also mentions the command "mem /c", to determine how much conventional memory is available for MS-DOS based programs. I tried it in different ways but to no surprise, always returned invalid.
    C:\>mem /c
    C:\>c:\mem /c
    C:\>windows\command\mem /c
    C:\>c:\windows\command\mem /c
    C:\>command\mem /c
    C:\>c:\command\mem /c

Well, I don't know if I'm making any sense with all of this or am I just confusing everyone, but I hate giving up.

8. randyrayd

randyrayd

If you can get to DOS instructions for reformatting are above in my post stamped 3:05 a.m.

The fact that you can't get to DOS and get the non-system disk or disk error message makes me agree with Rache that you have a bad HD or floppy drive. Make sure your CMOS settings are correct
    (to read A: first).

It could be a virus also.

Randall

9. shelljor

OK
    Lets revise.

1 - The PC does not start in Safe mode, or normal.
    2 - Therefore I can't download or copy the Win 98 bootdisk (from bootdisk.com) to the desktop and create a bootable disk.
    3 - Is there a way to format the HD and reinstall windows in these conditions ?

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there shelljor...

The W98 CD should be a bootable CD, can you go into the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the CD-ROM first, then put the CD in the CD-ROM, and see if you can install from there...

11. shelljor

Sorry but I have to ask:

How do I get into BIOS, and how do I change the boot order ?

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

It all depends on which BIOS you have, in most cases it is the "Del" key, try tapping the "Del" key during bootup...

And...as to how to change the boot order it again depends on the BIOS as to where it is located, you may have to explore the BIOS menu to locate it...

13. Rache

Rache Banned

The bootup screen will tell you which key to enter setup - you can use 'Pause' if it's too fast. In my bios it's under 'advanced settings'. Use the page up/down keys to change order to boot from floppy.

Also why you're in bios go to 'load optimal settings' and load (can't recall the other) settings and when you exit click 'y' to save changes. Sometimes something goes awry in bootup and this can clear it.

14. shelljor

:pAlright we're in business..!!!

I was finally able to install Win 98.

Now there's one think that I can't figure out.
    None of the icons function on double click, only "right click>open".

15. Rache

Rache Banned

This is a 98 'thing'. Run scandisk and defrag in 'safemode', reboot and this should clear up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice