1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Stop Temporary Profile

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by d_ingraham, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d_ingraham

d_ingraham Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium

Profile must have been corrupted and so got the Temporary Profile on login. Tried the REGEDIT fix, but didn't work, nor did CheckDisk run. Might have to copy profile settings to a new profile and delete original, and if so, would appreciate instructions (or link to instructions) for doing so.

2. Sponsor

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Which particular regedit fix did you try? Something akin to this walk-through? I'm just trying to gauge what advice to offer next.

If you want to copy the profile, it's best to log in with a different account which has Administrator rights. Open up Windows Explorer, go to Tools, and then choose Folder Options. Change the settings to what you see here, because there are hidden files you want to avoid copying and you'll need to be able to see them:

Folder_Options.png

Navigate to the user folder you want to copy, and then you can choose what you want to copy & paste from there to the backup location. You should not back up any files called ntuser.dat or ntuser.ini. Moreover, there are shortcuts to folders in there for Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, etc. which you won't be able to copy. Don't worry about that.

Once you've backed up the files, you can delete the profile, re-create it, and then copy the backed-up files to the same locations on the re-created profile.

4. d_ingraham

Thanks. That's similar to the REGEDIT procedure that I used, but I'd like to try this one to see if it works. One question, how do I "Log on with another administrative account" if the only one I have access to is the one that I want to keep?

5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I'm assuming the account your using is not the built-in Administrator account, so let's set up access for that. Open up a command prompt (cmd.exe), type in the following, and then hit the Enter key: net user administrator /active:yes. Close the command prompt, log off the account, and then log into the newly-activated Administrator account.

6. d_ingraham

Thanks. I have a meeting now, but will try this later this afternoon. I appreciate your help!

7. d_ingraham

System error 5 / Access is denied

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, go to run cmd.exe again but this time right-click on the icon and choose Run as administrator. This will give it the requisite privileges.

9. d_ingraham

Done. Now enter "run administrator..."?

10. d_ingraham

I mean "net user....."

11. d_ingraham

Only login options are my original profile and "Other User" which requires a password.

12. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Yes, after doing that you need to run net user administrator /active:yes. After that's done, you can log out of the account.

Is this after you logged out? What message did you receive after you ran the command above?

13. d_ingraham

Command was successful. Logged off and back on to get to this point.

14. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, let's walk through this with deliberation...

So you have logged out of all accounts, and the only two icons you now see are for the profile you use already and "Other user". When you click on the latter, only then does it ask you for a password? Is that correct?

15. d_ingraham

That's right.

16. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Does it prompt you for a username as well as a password? It sounds like you have Fast User Switching disabled. Do you hold down Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the screen where you choose the account you want to use?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161455