1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't stop virus notice

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by paddykn, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paddykn

paddykn Thread Starter

Hi Folks

I have a very annoying problem going on for the last two hours and I don't know what to do about it. I keep getting the following notice.

A Virus Has Been Detected and Cleaned.
    This file
    C:WINDOWS\TEMPEMAIL.ATTACH.EXE was infected by the [email protected] virus has been deleted to complete the clean process.
    I want to
    Find out more Information
    continue with what I was doing.

When I push continue the notice goes away and then comes back again. Some times right away ,some times 15 min later.

I'm running McAfee Virus scan.
    When I do a system scan It shows 4 files infected but they are write protected and can't be removed. Also if you can tell me how to show you these notices without typing them out I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your help.

Pat.

2. BillC

BillC

3. paddykn

paddykn Thread Starter

BillC

I sent you a fairly lengthy reply but I don't see it here. I,m sorry if thes is a duplicate but I did'nt want your reply to go unanswered.
    I'm not computer literate so it will take me a while to try your suggestion, but try it I will and i,ll come back and let you know how it works out. Thanks again for your time.

Pat

4. BillC

BillC

Thank you for your response Pat. The Symantec site has step by step instructions. And while this may not seem simple, I believe it is eaiser than other methods.

Hope it works for you. :)

5. paddykn

paddykn Thread Starter

Hi BillC.

I just ran the Dumaru removal tool as you suggested and it showed that I was not infected with the Dumaru virus. However my original problem still exists. The McAffee box keeps popping up saying that it has deleted this virus and also w32 sobig. I just had to delete it 15 times before it went away . It's like there is a file somewhere that keeps trying to infect my computer every time McAffee removes it. If you can give me anymore help I would appreciate it. If not, I really thank you for giving me the removal tool , and wish you a great day. Thanks again.

Pat

6. BillC

BillC

Hey Pat,

It seems to me you've got more than one thing going on at the same time. Folks on this forum get a lot of information and can help when they see a HijackThis log. Alas, I'm not one of the HJT experts, but there are some here that will be able to help. Shucks, even I know a little.

Here is what to do. Go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/, and download 'Hijack This!'. Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that, save the log as a .txt file, and copy and paste its contents into your next post.

If it is Sobig, here is Symantec's site

7. paddykn

paddykn Thread Starter

Hi Bill
    thanks again for your post. Happily I think that my problem is solved. I haven't had the McAffee pop up for about two hours. I suspect that when I disabled my system restore I solved my problem . I wouldn't have known to do that if I had not been prompted to do so by the Dumaru removal tool that you lmade available to me. thanks again I really appreciate your help.

Pat.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice