1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't surf to Yahoo...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by D_Lister, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

I have a computer on a 2 computer network that can not surf to Yahoo and seemingly a few other sites but this is the major one. I'm running Winproxy 4.0 R1c as my Internet Connection sharing program and have turned off the firewall completely and removed all options in the filtering section as well. The computer has a fast strong connection and can find most any site however when we try to visit Yahoo we get that it can not be found error. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    D_Lister

2. Del

Del

Which computer can't surf to yahoo? The client or the computer setup as the proxy server?
    Also, try pinging yahoo from the one that can't surf to it. You can try pinging it by the IP address of 216.115.108.245 and by yahoo.com and let us know what you find out.
    Del

3. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

Sorry should have mentioned that it is the client computer not getting there. Did try to ping both Yahoo and the IP address. Was able to ping both just fine. Also put the IP address in the address bar after the 'http://' but was unable to get anywhere. Just as a side not I have tried 3 different browsers on this computer all with the same result.

D_Lister

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Though going straight to the IP address should work even if there is a Hosts file, check this to be sure.

Start>Find>Files, key in Hosts and press enter.

Do you see a file called just Hosts? That's just Hosts with no file extension. You'll find a file called Hosts.sam but that's not the problem. Your looking for a file just called Hosts with no file extension. If you find one, right click on it and rename it Hosts.old and then try Yahoo.

5. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

My search for 'hosts' on the drive revelead Hosts, hosts, and Lmhosts all without any extentions and I was in the 'Show Details' mode. I renamed all of them one at a time with the .old to no avail.

D_Lister

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Open up the Hosts file you found with Notepad. Then copy paste it's contents to a reply here.

BTW, you also want to be sure you close all instances of IE and then restart the browser after you've renamed the files.

7. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

I did certainly close IE before renaming the files and reopened it when I tried it anew. The contest of the Host file is as follows:

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    That appears to be the Host.sam file not an active Hosts file.

Open each Hosts file you found and see if any have any references in them to the Yahoo URL or it's IP address 216.32.74.52

If no references are found, then a Hosts file is not the problem.

9. Del

Del

This is very odd. You can get to some sites but not yahoo.
    And it's not the browser as your operating system can't ping it either.
    Have you tried turning the firewall back on, make sure all the ports are open and nothing is blocked, give full internet access, then turn it off again and try it?
    Del

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I thought the ping worked for both the IP and the URL. Or am I mistaken?

11. Del

Del

opps, no Bryan, I made the mistake. Should have re-read after my coffee. My apologies.
    This is a tough one. Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections and check for a proxy server?
    Del

12. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

Yes PING does work for URL and for IP address. I when I pinged 'yahoo.com' i got the IP of 216.115.108.245 which I just tried to ping and had no problem with. I also pinged the IP you suggested of 216.32.74.52 and had no problems. I tried as Del suggested and set all my firewall and blocking filters to maximum, logged out and logged back in with nothing working. I reset the settings to off, repeated the logging process and still nothing.

I should say that Yahoo is not the ONLY site I can't get to...I'd say about 20% of the sites I try to get to on this one machine it fails, just Yahoo is the biggest site so I KNOW it's fine on their end. Google will come up and search for any query I put in with lightning fast results, however when I click some of the results I can not find those pages which I believe is my problem and not the sites.

Also as for the other 'Hosts' file all it contains is the following single line:

0.0.0.0 javascript-of-unknown-origin.netscape.com

As you can see no reference to Yahoo's IP.

D_Lister

13. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

CP > Internet Opt > Connection reveals that only 'Automatically Detect Settings' is checked. no proxy is currently checked, do I need to set one? If so how do I determine addy/port.

D_Lister

14. Del

Del

What operating system do you have on the host and client machines?
    Del

15. D_Lister

D_Lister Thread Starter

Both are Win98, host is Second Ed. and client I believe is First.

D_Lister

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice