1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't surf web unless i go through VPN

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Keethd, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Keethd

Keethd Thread Starter

I have had this Anon VPN for a couple years and never had this issue until recently. I don't always use the VPN to browse the web but now I have to go through it otherwise all i get is server not found messages. I thought it may just be Firefox but i get the same issue with Edge and Chrome. I tried a couple fixes i found online but they didn't work. Something about changing the IP address or proxy ( as you can tell I am not too savvy at this) to 1.0.0.1 or some such thing. Any suggestions as to what is going on and how to fix? Thanks

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So to confirm you are not able to access the internet when you are not on VPN but you can via the VPN?

What is your network card set to, DHCP or Static? What about DNS?

In Command prompt, do the ping google.com command and see if you get a reply.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000

Some Questions:

1.) What operating system or device are you using?
    2.) When did this start?
    3.) Any new software, hardware, or apps removed, modified, or installed?
    4.) Who is your Internet provider?
    5.) Have you updated and run a full Virus scan?
    6.) What error messages do you get when you try to browse the Web?
    7.) If this is a PC, have you cleared cookies, and cache, and web history? Do this now.
    8.) Also go to C-drive, right-click, select Properties, select "Disk Clean Up" AND check "Clean up System Files." Say yes to confirm
    9.) When this is done, shut down, (don't reboot) your PC or device.
    10.) Unplug your modem and router now wait for about two minutes
    11.) With computer shut down, plug in the Modem first, wait for all the lights to come back on. This could take 5-10 minutes. leave router and computer off.
    12.) When modem has all it's lights on, next plug in the router, wait five minutes for all its lights to go on.
    13.) Now reboot your PC or device, giving it five minutes or so after you see the desktop icons.
    14.) If you still can't browse or the problem comes back, I would suggest contacting your ISP for further help. They may need to replace the modem or router if you rent from them. Or you may have to look at the purchase of a new modem or router if it is not an ISP issue.

Satch

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It would be an IP or routing issue. The internet works through VPN. we need to first find out if the IP information for the computer is correct before moving down the pipeline.

5. Keethd

Keethd Thread Starter

Yes I am not able to access the internet when not on VPN but my roommates can on their machines.
    Network card is set to DHCP but I am not sure about the DNS
    I did get a reply when I did the ping.google.com command

6. Keethd

Keethd Thread Starter

Thanks Satch but I cannot reply to all the questions other than I am running windows 10 on a 5? year old HP Pavilion and it started a week or so ago. I don't recall if or what was installed or removed. I don't think anything although there may have be updates. I did do all those other things prior to my post including contacting my ISP. I admit I have not tried a direct connection by ethernet wire but not sure why i would have to since both of my other roommates are not having any issues and they don't have VPN and don't use mine.

7. Keethd

Keethd Thread Starter

OK can you guide me through that?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice