1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't swap HDD into new machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DERALAAND, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

I'm taking a 40Gb HDD out of a PII 500 mHz machine and trying to install it into a P4 1.5 gHz machine.
    This HDD has Win XP sp2 updated and working plus a truck load of kids stuff.

The P4 machine is/was Win 2000 sp2 (nearly clean) 20Gb HDD

I switch in the HDD's making sure of cable locations and jumper settings for:
    1. Win Xp master (as is..no change)
    2. Win 2000 slave (to be formatted)

On the boot I get a recognition of hardware changes and a "press F1 to accept these changes". After that and a splash screen...I'm left with a blinking cursor in the upper left and thats it.

I can revert back to the Win 2000 original setup and all is fine.

Do I need to upgrade the Win 2000 configuration to WinXP before the machine will accept WinXP from other the disk as the OS? This is the only thing that I can see to do at this point.

Thanks

2. bonk

bonk Banned

what are the HDD formated in Fat32/ NTFS

3. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

I believe they are NTFS.

However I am not there to absolutely verify this.

If they are FAT32 then what?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried Cable Select on the Jumpers

Please let me be clear on what you are trying to do.

You have a PC with XP on it and you are trying to add a second HDD as slave with 2000 on it

5. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

The PC originally had 2000. I want to slave the 2000 HDD and install a HDD that already has WinXP on it (as the master) The WinXP HDD is coming directly from a different (slower) computer.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Unless the PC it came from is exactly the same ie. Hardware Chipsets which is unlikely then you will have to reinstall the O/S on that PC.

7. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

the only reason I wanted to do this was so I didn't have to hunt down game saves and photos and music etc...

But if this is what I have to do then ...I thank you for your help

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Get the HDD with the O/S that was on the PC to start with and put the other HDD on as Slave and transfer the data you want.

9. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

any idea how to capture Sims2 save files?
    the music and photos are easy

Thanks for your help

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If I understand your post, you took a hd with xp installed and attempted to install it into another machine expecting it to boot. Is that correct?

If so, it will not boot. There is a procedure to follow to accomplish this task however it starts with the drive in the original system.

In addition if the install was oem ie came with a dell, hp, compaq, etc you cannot do this legally. OEM os are bound to the original hardware.

11. DERALAAND

DERALAAND Thread Starter

I should have no problem doing a fresh XP install over the original Win 2000 HD correct?

I'm just trying to save some time...but I want to do it correctly as well

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just make sure you delete the partition that contains the previous os. Before doing any install, upgrade, whatever, I would make a backup of anything important.

Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice