1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Switch User

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blh102444, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blh102444

blh102444 Thread Starter

When I try to switch users I get the screen that says loading you personel settings but it hangs and does not load anthing. The only cure so far is to reboot and then I can choose a user with no problem. When someone else wants to get on thier account they have the same problem and have to reboot. Any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. 4plus2

4plus2

Worth installing and running "Crap Cleaner" it to see if theres any stray temporary files upsetting the user switching. Great little program for cleaning and speeding up your PC.
    I turn off the clearing of cookies else you may loose your website registrations.

Also do you use "fast user switching"? Control Panel->User accounts->Change the way user log on or off->Use fast user switching as some PCs dont like this function.

4. blh102444

blh102444 Thread Starter

I run crap cleaner on a regular basis. I ran it at your suggestion but no difference in switching users. I also checked the fast switching and it is on. This problem just started a couple of days ago. Thanks for your ideas.

5. 4plus2

4plus2

Perhaps turn off fast switching, then test switching and if it works try turning it back on?

6. unbidden

unbidden

Did FUS work previously?

If you are on a domain, FUS will not work. Other things that can cause the problem are
    3rd party networking clients such as Novel and the like. Some software programs can also cause the problem. Be sure your programs are XP compatable (assuming you use XP).
    Try the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit

7. blh102444

blh102444 Thread Starter

I think you hit upon the answer when you said some software could cause the problem. I installed a program called Cyberhawk ( a free anti spyware program) a few days ago. I uninstalled it and that appears to have solved the problem. Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489517