1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't transfer group email address

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Harry32, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

In Outlook Express I’ve created a group email address for a 51-member computer club. I’ve used it and it works fine. Now I want to give the group address to all members so that each of them can use it as I do.

I exported the group address, named Computer Club.wab, to My Documents and wrote instructions telling members how to import it to their address books after they receive it from me as an email attachment. But in testing those instructions with one member, I found that what gets transferred is not just Computer Club.wab as intended, but everything else in my address book as well.

What am I doing wrong?

2. gyclone

gyclone

I have Outlook 2007 Pro, not Express and I can't seem to find any way of generating a .wab file, so I'm guessing that's only in Express. So, unfortunately I can't tell you what your doing wrong because there's no possible way for me to recreate your steps, but since no one else is jumping in, I will offer some advice. The most portable contact (address book) format is vCard. If Express will let you export the list as a vCard, try it that way. They sometimes refer to it as "Internet Format", or something similar, rather than vCard. If Express doesn't have the option, you could download Thunderbird, import your contacts into Thunderbird, and then export your vCard(s) from there. A pain, but not all that bad, really, and, unfortunately, Outlook doesn't play very nice with other contact management systems.

I'll give you two warnings, the first applies only if you choose to use Thunderbird, the second applies to vCards in general:

1. Thunderbird will prompt you to import your addresses from Express the first time it starts (that makes it very easy), but it may also prompt you to add your mail accounts. Skip past that, if it will let you, or you may inadvertently permanently download and remove mail from your mail server. If you can't skip past it, turn off your router, or unplug your network cable, or disable your Network Connections to prevent the program from actually syncing to the mail servers.
    2. You can export groups to vCards and most programs will import them just fine, but I have occasionally run into an instance or two where a program couldn't import any of them. If this happens, an easy workaround is to use a "Note" or "Details" field, or something similar, in each of the contacts where you can put the group name. Then, if you end up having to distribute the list as individual vCards, your users can sort by that field to group all the contacts together in their address book, thereby making it very easy for them to create their own distribution list, without having to go look for a bunch of individual contacts. Also, if you use Outlook to produce the vCards, you may be able to sort by that field first and have the vCard entries come out in that order, so, if Outlook still exports your entire address book, you could open the vCard file in any text editor, use Find to locate the entries for your group and just delete everything else. Problem solved.
    Anyway, I know this isn't exactly what you were asking for, but I hope it's helpful, if you end up needing it. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice