1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't turn comp on b/c of games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Schemmey, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Well basically a few days ago my computer screen would go black in the middle of playing a game and it would force me to restart my computer because I couldn't do anything. I thought it was a bug with titan quest since it hadn't happened in half life 2 or WoW. Sadly this morning after 5 minutes of playing WoW the same thing happened so I restarted and tried half life 2. The game almost immediately did the same thing and when I tried to restart my computer won't even turn on properly. It sounds like it is running fine but I get no picture and the 3 lock lights dont come on when I try.

My luck with my computer has been nothing but bad in the past year. I am now on my third hard drive, 3rd Graphics card, 2nd motherboard, and almost needed a new sound card. If anyone is able to help me, please do because all of this money I have pretty much put down the drain has led me to think I should just forget about fixing it and sell the parts and spend my money on something else.

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

It sounds like an over-heating issue.

Try taking the side panel off of your computer, and see how hot your computer becomes.
    Also be sure to clear any dust that may be in the fans.

3. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Alright I will try that as soon as I get home and let you know, thanks.

4. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Ok so I did exactly what you told me to this morning and my computer did turn on. I was happy until after the windows loading screen went away because nothing ever loaded. A pattern of lines came across the screen then I heard some noise coming from my video card so I immediately turned it off. Could it possibly be that my 6800gt I jsut bought 2 months fried that quickly?

5. Kramer55

Kramer55

Was the fan on the video card moving, or was it stuck?

It would be unlikely that your video card would have stopped working after 2 months, but if there is sufficient dust in the fan (either the fan on the video card or on the CPU), that could be the problem.

EDIT: Try taking the video card out of your computer, and see if the computer will work using just the onboard video.

6. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Alright I will go try that now, but one thing I did notice was the fan on my power supply wasn't moving at all.

EDIT: Ok I was jsut testing to see if my fan on my graphics card was working and I took out my ethernet cable and headphones from the back and my computer booted up normally to windows. But I am still worried that maybe something is wrong.

7. Kramer55

Kramer55

That is most likely your problem then; you are probably going to need to buy a new power supply unless your computer is still covered by some warranty.

8. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Hmm alright thanks, but as far as you know everything else should be Ok at least from what I have told you? Again thanks for all the help and I will let you know of my successes if I have any.

9. Kramer55

Kramer55

Taking out the ethernet cable and headphones most likely mean nothing.

Your computer will probably be able to start up at times with the old PSU (power supply unit) in it, but it will not be stable.

I wouldn't be too worried about your graphics card being the problem.

10. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Again I am sorry for probably annoying you with my problems, but do you know of a decent power supply that isnt too costly? I know enough to be able to buy my own graphics cards, sound cards, motherboards, hard drives, just never had to buy a power supply before so I am not sure of my choices. Sorry for asking but I am just trying to make good choices :(

11. Kramer55

Kramer55

You're not bothering anyone, we're here to help.

I myself have never bought a power supply, but try looking at yours and write down some of the dimensions. I can hopefully help you from there.

12. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Ok well I just checked out my PSU and it was an OKIA-420ATX. it was 14cm by 15cm and 8.5cm tall. Also the voltage was 115/230v, the current was 10A/5A, and frequency was 60/50Hz if the helps?

13. Kramer55

Kramer55

I've gota go run some errands, but I found one that may work: This PSU has the same voltage as yours (as do many others).

You may want to wait until someone with more experience reads this thread to see what type of PSU you need.

14. Schemmey

Schemmey Thread Starter

Ok thanks, yeah I was actually just looking at that one about 5 minutes ago, but I don't have the experience to know so yeah I will wait for someone :)

15. cujo668

cujo668

I'm not that guy with the experience, but I know a great site to check the ammount of wattage you need for a computer. Click on "start psu calculator", then enter all your specs, and click on find my wattage, it is a good place to start.

http://journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php

The one you are looking it seems good though. 430 watts, and $40 is a decent price, I bought one for $55 at best buy and it was only a 350 watt.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice