1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't undo lost picture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ackeegirl, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ackeegirl

ackeegirl Thread Starter

I'm 76 so give me some slack.:p I wanted to send a picture of me standing at the rear of my car which displays political stickers to a publication. I found the picture in 'my pictures" but realized I didn't want my license plate to be seen so I tried to paintshop it out. I was not only unsuccesful in that endeavor but I ended up completely losing the picture. :( Clicking on the "undo" button did not restore it so I'm at a loss as to what to do next. The picture is still in "my pictures" but when I make any attempt to upload it even to an email, it comes up completely white with no image. I'd like to know how to restore the picture to Jasc paint shop Pro 8 and then how to remove or cover the license plate.

I use Windows XP.
    Many thanks for any help.

2. KugarWeb

KugarWeb

Hi there,

Have you tried opening the picture up within Microsoft Paint or JASC Paint Shop Pro 8, just to see if it displays in there correctly? It may be your email software not seeing the picture properly.

If you were to double click on the file within My Pictures, what happens?

If the picture cannot be displayed or there are big differences from the original, you may have to start from scratch and simply retake the photo.

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

What does the thumbnail look like in my pictures...
    If it's all white as well I'm afraid you have lost it

On the bright side... you will have learned a valuable lesson ... always work on a copy... never the original... :)

4. slipe

slipe

You unfortunately have a PSP version that is one revision too old to have unlimited undo and a history palette, which lets you go back to any point in the process. Assuming you saved a blank page to the original file and can’t undo back to your original I think you will probably have to retake the photo.

There are probably a dozen tools to obscure the license plate. Try the “Smudge” tool under Lighten/Darken. Or you could just use the eraser or airbrush.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Also if you ever look to upgrade, PSP12 now automatically saves a copy of the original photo when resaving a changed photo unless its set not to do that, but I wouldn't want to dissuade you from having extra copies either.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

I doubt there is any going back in this case... that's just a guess without hearing from the OP...

"You unfortunately have a PSP version that is one revision too old to have unlimited undo and a history palette, which lets you go back to any point in the process. Assuming you saved a blank page to the original file and can’t undo back to your original I think you will probably have to retake the photo."

psp 7 has multiple undos' so assume psp8 does as well but all are useless if the picture was saved as a standard jpg ... the image is gone...

by far the easiest solution is to retake the picture with a piece if ductape over the tag... then there is no need to dink around

7. ackeegirl

ackeegirl Thread Starter

Many thanks to all of you. I was able to retake the picture with a tape over the license and in the process learned a valuable lesson about fooling with originals.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!