1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall/install Norton Antivirus because..

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Toan Pham, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toan Pham

Toan Pham Thread Starter

Hi

I bought my HP Desktop system last year. At the time of purchase, there was a trial version of Norton Antivirus 2004(30 days). I and my younger brother are the two primary user on this Windows XP Home. Last week my computer was infected with a virus and I decided to buy Norton Antivirus 2005. Before I install this software, I went to Add/Remove software and tried to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2004. Here is the message that pop up:

The installation is missing the file instops.dat. Setup will now exit.

So I tried to install Norton Antivirus 2005, the same message appear. Therefore, I cannot install new software NOR uninstall the old software. Please tell me how to fix this problem (i.e get rid of this annoying message and install Norton Antivirus succesfully).

Thank you very much.
    (Please answer in detail, thanks)

2. p911

p911

I'm experiencing the same problem, did you find any solution yet?
    Chris.

3. p911

p911

I'm experiencing the same problem, did you find any solution yet?
    I do not know if something is hapening ...but I send this message again.
    Sorry if it goes wrong.
    Chris.

4. aimee311

aimee311

Hi...
    Has anyone figured this out yet cuz i really need some help here. I am having the exact same problem so I cant download any other antivirus programs. My computer is not safe right now. anyone.......anyone...........?

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Go here:

SymNRT

And try the suggestions in "Section 1." If you have already tried those, and they have failed, then scroll down to "Section 2" and download the "SymNRT.exe." and follow the instructions to have that tool remove the Norton 2004 from your computer. Be sure to read through all the instructions before you download and run the tool.

Once you have run the SymNRT tool and it has removed the 2004 version, you can then install the 2005 version.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice