1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall Norton Rescue Disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hezzie92, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hezzie92

hezzie92 Thread Starter

Installed Norton Internet Security 2002 (including Rescue Disk) back when I had Windows ME. Have since upgraded to XP. Unintalled Internet Security. Tried installing McAfee Internet Security Suite 8. Says I need to uninstall Rescue Disk. Was not listed under Add/Remove Programs. Was listed in CCleaner remove programs list, but it said it could not find uninstaller. Deleted entire Rescue Disk folder from hard dive. McAfee still says it's installed. Obviously something is still in the registry or something. How can I get rid of this so I can install the McAfee software??

2. hezzie92

hezzie92 Thread Starter

Well, I tried reinstalling Norton, to see if I could then uninstall everything. Now I can't uninstall Norton Antivirus as well as Rescue Disk. Please help....

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

GO to start > search>files and folders>type in norton> click on search & see what comes up if norton does delete it. This is not fool froof

4. hezzie92

hezzie92 Thread Starter

Was finally able to uninstall Norton Antivirus by using utilities on the Symante site. Still CANNOT get rid of Rescue Disk.

5. TOGG

TOGG

6. hezzie92

hezzie92 Thread Starter

There seemed to be a million items still in the registry for Norton. TOGG - your links helped me find the registry items I needed to remove. Thanks!

7. TOGG

TOGG

Glad to be of help!

I once saw a list of the Registry changes made by a Symantec installation and it ran into hundreds of items over several pages. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find the list again.

I should probably make it clear that this is not an anti-Symantec thing on my part. Far too many programs make massive changes which are not reversed when the program is uninstalled.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice