1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Uninstall Realtek HD Audio Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PlasmaWaffle, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlasmaWaffle

PlasmaWaffle Guest Thread Starter

I'm using an external Sound Card for music production, but my sound keeps getting choppy, and I think it may be a conflict with the on-board sound driver.

The sound will stutter for 5-10 seconds every few minutes or so. I have tried a different sound card with the same speakers, and different speakers on both of those sound cards, and am still having the same issue, so I'm sure it's something to do with my computer and not the equipment.

I'm not seeing anything when I try to look for it when trying to uninstall programs
    I've attached a screenshot of what I see in Device Manager under Sound Devices in Device Manager
    When I open sound options in Windows, it lists my SoundCard as a High Definition Audio Device

The Virtual MIDI Ports are something I use for my production software (irrelevant to this, I installed this after I started having issues)
    I'm not sure if the NVIDI High Definition Audio devices are from my Sound Card are not.

Any help on uninstalling the Realtek HD Audio Driver is much appreciated! Or if you think the choppy sound may be caused by something else, please let me know!
    I work in I.T. So I can handle complicated instructions :)

(Possibly) Relevant Computer Specs
    Processor: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
    RAM: 8 GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Rev 2.0

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Most likely not a conflict. Especially if you already have both installed and both are working (stuttering issues aside). More likely with the external card (assuming it's connected via USB) is an issue with USB, especially if other hardware is also connected to USB.

In any case, no need to uninstall. Best option, disable the chipset in the BIOS. Or you could simply disable the hardware in Device Manager.

NVIDI High Definition Audio (nVidia High Definition Audio) would be the audio chipset on the video card to support audio over the HDMI port.

3. PlasmaWaffle

So USB on my MoBo might be busted? :( And yes, the old one and the new one are both through USB. If that's the case... would it be worthwhile to try re-installing Windows?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Anything is possible, but no, that's not what I said.

USB is a shared bus. Each device connected and in use on the bus, share the bandwidth available. The USB bus also has to be polled by the cpu. So if the cpu is under load, USB can data flow can slow and/or become eratic.

If you have multiple USB devices in use (excluding a mouse and keyboard), disconnect the other devices and test. If you are performing a function that is stressing the cpu, stop and then test the audio.

In any case, there may not be a USB issue, I was just tossing that out as another possible fault.

Is all audio choppy, or just a certain type? Or just when using a specific application or performing a specific action? We need to isolate the fault and try to determine the cause.

5. PlasmaWaffle

Gotcha.
    Audio seems to be choppy more frequently when I'm using Ableton (my production program)
    Still happens often when listening to music
    Seems to almost never happen when I'm playing video games

At all times I've checked the CPU load and it hasn't seemed to been too high, but I do have a few extra USB devices - I'll try unplugging them when I get home

Thanks for the help on this :)

6. TechieNow

TechieNow

IF you have doubts that your internal sound card is jamming you're external one, just disable it in the Device Manager so you can finally sum up if that is you're suspicious faulty, but if it doesn't work, try reearching for a meduim kind of bridge driver to process the sounds on your recording. just like in different application that requires ASIO4all, we have a buit-in soundcard or even external but that certain application won't work until i've installed it. So you can get the idea around this. Compatibility issues are not on the hardware and windows, it is usually with the application, always remember that. Hope this helps?

7. PlasmaWaffle

I tried disabling the internal sound card and disconnected all USB devices and still had the problem
    Also I messed up and completely forgot to mention/misinformed you:

This new audio interface is firewire, not USB
    I had to get a PCI firewire card that I put into the computer

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Enable the internal card and disable the firewire card. Then test and see what happens.

9. PlasmaWaffle

My speakers use XLR inputs that aren't compatible with onboard sound

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice